Traveling to India on CPT

Shiva07201992

Hi All, 

I completed my Masters and now enrolled in Executive PhD program at University of the Cumberlands. I am also enrolled in CPT (working in similar field as my PhD program) I have heard students get issues at the port of entry some times. My question is- Is it safe for me to travel to India in this situation? My Student visa expires April 2020. I am planning to travel in December and will be back in January 3 RD week. Will that be any issue? Please suggest.

Thanks!

On 11/5/2019 at 11:52 AM, Shiva07201992 said:

Thanks for the response. And, I do have one more question my F1 visa expires in April first week and if I had to fly due to family reasons in Dec and fly back to US in Jan 3rd week will that cause any issues as I will have only 3 months in between?

If you are worried about traveling with 3 months of valid visa, then that will not be an issue. But proving that you are actually doing Phd and not just working on CPT and using PhD as a reason to stay on F1 might be an issue. 

Another thing to consider is that you will probably not get another F1 based on documents issued by Cumberlands. 

And yes, CBP can deny your entry as well (If they have credible evidence against the Cumberlands). A simple google search tells a lotta bad things about this university. IMHO , you should not travel if you are planning to come back while your associations with Cumberlands are current.

Edited by xTDx