H1B - 221g Administrative processing

I submitted my documents through dropbox on September 18th. I have received a letter from the consulate to attend an interview. I have attended the interview on 23rd September. The VO said they would have to do additional checks and gave me another 221g slip. He just retained my passport and didn't request any other documents. 

Since then the visa status has been "Administrative Processing" with the last updated date as September 23rd. 

However, they have recently changed the last updated date to October 31st, but the status still says Administrative Processing. 

Neither I nor my company or attorneys received an email or request asking for additional documentation. 

Is it common for the case date to be updated but still the status to be "Administrative Processing" without receiving any additional request for documentation? 

Also how long can the consulate typically hold your passport in these cases since it has been almost 6 weeks already? 

Appreciate all you help

On 11/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, VisaUSer123 said:

I submitted my documents through dropbox on September 18th. I have received a letter from the consulate to attend an interview. I have attended the interview on 23rd September. The VO said they would have to do additional checks and gave me another 221g slip. He just retained my passport and didn't request any other documents. 

Since then the visa status has been "Administrative Processing" with the last updated date as September 23rd. 

However, they have recently changed the last updated date to October 31st, but the status still says Administrative Processing. 

Neither I nor my company or attorneys received an email or request asking for additional documentation. 

Is it common for the case date to be updated but still the status to be "Administrative Processing" without receiving any additional request for documentation? 

Also how long can the consulate typically hold your passport in these cases since it has been almost 6 weeks already? 

Appreciate all you help

You will be receiving some communication soon. Case date update is a good thing because it lets you know that your case is progressing. Let the forum know once you receive any update.