All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dorothy7

DWI on F1

Recently I was charged with a DWI misdemeanor B in the morning while returning home (TX). My car was stuck and when cops assessed me I stumbled in field sobriety test. On paper it says I refused to be breathalyzed but in paranoia I missed their request for the same.  

Previously I had misd B and C but they have already been dismissed and nothing concerning happened. I have tried to avoid any sort of trouble after they were resolved but unfortunately now need to deal with this DWI case. I have appointed the attorney that has helped me with the previous cases. I’m currently still on F1 visa and will graduate in one more semester. I am informed that tentatively this case will go on for next 6 months. 

As of now My concerns are: 

Will I be deported ?

During the period of case being solved do I need to worry about anything related to deportation or removal? 

Is or will my visa be revoked ? : In a situation if it does will I be able to come back and complete my graduation and continue further. 

I really need some guidance on this topic as I am beyond terrified and demoralized. I really really appreciate your opinion on this topic. 

You're not providing enough info. Were your previous (dismissed) misdemeanor charges alcohol-related? (If yes, that could potentially become a bigger issue.) Were you given a lab test (blood sample taken) during this last detention?

I don't know TX laws but generally the alcohol content in blood is what the courts ultimately go by. In any case, the prosecution will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were under influence.  That may be challenging for them to do without any actual tests taken. But then again this is TX so anything is possible. Get a very good lawyer and don't plead guilty if you're not.

Yes, you could be deported with 3 misdemeanors (even without convictions). More likely your F1 could be denied. Again, more info is needed.

-- I'm not an attorney, just a random person on the internet. --