Stuck in India due to 221g - What would be my next course of actions

Hello forum members, 

I have this situation and I am sure many have faced this. I came to India to revalidate my H1B visa, however, during the Visa Interview, I have been put on Administrative Hold (form 221g - white slip) - due to certain legal matters. As there is no deadline on Embassy/USCIS in resolving such cases, I am having to prepare a mid-long term plan to cope up with this situation. My key issues are:

• I rent in NYC, hence it's a substantial monthly investment, which I will have to continue paying 
  • I have other movable properties, I am not sure, what should I do, if I have to break my lease

I would like to know what would be some of the possible ways to address this situation? What should I discuss with my employer? What should be my next steps to minimize financial losses.

Your comments, legal or not, are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:38 AM, CreativeGuy said:

Hello forum members, 

I have this situation and I am sure many have faced this. I came to India to revalidate my H1B visa, however, during the Visa Interview, I have been put on Administrative Hold (form 221g - white slip) - due to certain legal matters. As there is no deadline on Embassy/USCIS in resolving such cases, I am having to prepare a mid-long term plan to cope up with this situation. My key issues are:

• I rent in NYC, hence it's a substantial monthly investment, which I will have to continue paying - Try to sublease, call your friends and other known person who can help you will this. Breaking lease will be a negative remark on your rental history and you might have to pay a heavy price too.
  • I have other movable properties, I am not sure, what should I do, if I have to break my lease -

I would like to know what would be some of the possible ways to address this situation? What should I discuss with my employer? What should be my next steps to minimize financial losses.

Thank you!

TBH bro, do not keep any high hopes on 221G white slip. I would say start looking for other options either in india or in USA. no negatives all I am sharing what I have experienced or know.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:38 AM, CreativeGuy said:

Hello forum members, 

• I rent in NYC, hence it's a substantial monthly investment, which I will have to continue paying 
  • I have other movable properties, I am not sure, what should I do, if I have to break my lease

Thank you!

Best option is to sub lease with the help of your friends and move your stuff to a rented storage area.

Is your employer supporting your case? If that's the case, work from India. There is nothing much you can do about it.

Look for 1-2 months if above is true, if it doesn't work out in that timeframe start the lease-breaking processing and moving stuff to storage.

Few apartment companies may be courteous to waive off the lease-breaking fees depending on your situation. But you may have to do some hard talking though.

I understand the financial losses, but it is what it is. Again, there is nothing much you can do about it.

• 4 weeks later...