Urgent Travel while L1A Extension in Progress

Please help - I am in critical situation where I need to travel to attend to my parent's health emergency. But I need help with below.

My L1A extension was filed in last week of April 2019 (normal mode), my L1A petition expired in 2nd week of Sep 2019. My L1A original visa stamp was given for 5 year validity, so stamp expiry is in year 2021 (still valid). My wife is with me in US on L2, kids have local US passport (not on visa). I am told that I may not be able to re-enter unless my extension gets approved - so I am upgrading my extension to premium mode now (will take 1 week to get process started by my company). 

Can I travel to India while my family still continues to live in US? I can stay in India for 2 to 3 weeks till I receive decision on my case, and then return as it gets approved. If RFE in unfortunate event, will my wife and kids then need to travel back to India? Or do they need to travel with me now itself? As I dont want my kids school to get impacted, I want to keep my family here in US itself. 

Please suggest how can I still travel right away to India while still having my family continue to stay in US. Or if that is too risky, what is the way out to still go to India and get back here.

Thanks in advance, please help!