221g Passport Retained

Hi Friends, 

Hope you all are doing great and hanging tight with the visa stuff. 

I recently applied for H1 extension through dropbox and was given a 221g slip and asked to attend in person interview. 

At the interview, the consular officer retained just my passport (no other documentation was requested) and gave me another blue 221g slip and said they have to review the case further.

Back in 2015, When I was on my OPT I had some issue with paperwork and was denied entry at the port of Entry. However, the CBP officers were considerate and let me voluntarily withdraw my visa based on my clean background. Later I joined a multinational firm in India and in the same year, I got a B1 visa and traveled for work. Next year they also applied for my H1b and the visa was successfully issued and have been working in the US past 2.5 years.  I recently moved to a new company 3 months back (full time) with proper paperwork.

The consular officer mainly focussed on the 2015 issue. Not sure why its still a matter of interest while I have been granted two different visas since that issue and USCIS has approved the h1B petition twice (original and transfer). All my paperwork has been very tight and perfect.

Did anyone have a similar experience and have any rough estimate on the wait time till I hear back the decision.

Appreciate your time and guidance

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:42 AM, VisaUSer123 said:

Hi Friends, 

Hope you all are doing great and hanging tight with the visa stuff. 

I recently applied for H1 extension through dropbox and was given a 221g slip and asked to attend in person interview. 

At the interview, the consular officer retained just my passport (no other documentation was requested) and gave me another blue 221g slip and said they have to review the case further.

Back in 2015, When I was on my OPT I had some issue with paperwork and was denied entry at the port of Entry. However, the CBP officers were considerate and let me voluntarily withdraw my visa based on my clean background. Later I joined a multinational firm in India and in the same year, I got a B1 visa and traveled for work. Next year they also applied for my H1b and the visa was successfully issued and have been working in the US past 2.5 years.  I recently moved to a new company 3 months back (full time) with proper paperwork.

The consular officer mainly focussed on the 2015 issue. Not sure why its still a matter of interest while I have been granted two different visas since that issue and USCIS has approved the h1B petition twice (original and transfer). All my paperwork has been very tight and perfect.

Did anyone have a similar experience and have any rough estimate on the wait time till I hear back the decision.

Appreciate your time and guidance

Hi,

Any update about ur case?