H1B Dropbox - 221g - Visa Stamp

Hi,

I have a scenario where my case status in CEAC is "Administrative Processing" and my USTraveldocs status is "Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery". Does that mean I got 221G slip? 

To give some additional details, I was working with this employer since 2016 and I got visa stamped for the same employer in Feb 2017 (from Dropbox to Personal Interview via 221g slip). Reason for 221g slip during Feb 2017 was asking my Company tax documents which we provided and cleared the process.

After 2 years, I came to visit India again while working for same employer with valid petition from Feb 2019 to Jan 2022. This time I thought it will go smoothly because  a) Visa stamped prior with same employer. b) Embassy verified my employer documents.

However, not sure whats going on this time with CEAC Status as "Administrative Processing" while my passport is available for pickup?

Also, not sure if this matters, but this is my 1st extension after fulfilling 6 years of H-1B. My I-140 is approved as well.

Thanks

14 hours ago, samuelebe said:

CEAC is "Administrative Processing" and my USTraveldocs status is "Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery".

Quite probably consulate returned your passport without visa and requested certain documents under Admin Processing/221g. Wait and see what happens.

Hey Guys,

Today I collected my passport from Bangalore VFS center, and I got 221g blue slip asking me to attend for personal interview and bring the following documents

From Petitioner:

a) copy of supported documents filed with USCIS

b) Recent letter from US client company ( client letter)

c) Technical Description of project, timelines, status etc..

From Me:

d) W-2 for last two years

Preparing documents and planning to attend next week. 

I work for my company and not in client place, so not sure what kind of client letter I should carry if I don't work at their place. Appreciate any inputs.

Thanks

13 hours ago, samuelebe said:

I work for my company and not in client place, so not sure what kind of client letter I should carry if I don't work at their place. Appreciate any inputs.

Then you do not need a client letter. Just tell the officer that you work full time. Try to get a employment verification letter by your employer and take it with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I attended my interview on 12th September in Chennai Consulate. It was unusually large number of people for Visa stamping, and this time they had separate line for 221g blue slips. Most people got their 221g in dropbox option and we are not considered as regular stamping interview candidates. 

Below is the process they followed:

* Inside Consulate, they have not allowed smart watches along with mobile phones. My family left me at the gate and security inside consulate asked me to make my own arrangements for storing smart watch, which I have no clue what to do at that point. Deposit Box persons wont accept smart watches to store, its only for mobile phones. I had to come out from consulate and request deposit box persons a lot to keep my watch with them. 

* We were asked to sit separately from the regular folks, and we were sent once in a while when regular crowd is reduced. 

* They did ten printing again in the consulate, and they wrote counter number on top of our 221g slips. ( Probably those counters were specialized in handling these cases)

* 221g blue slips had a separate queue at the interview windows and among the two cases before me had given 221g again and one was rejected. 

* I went to the Officer and she seems to be very serious and my interview went almost for 20  minutes. 

Me: Good Morning Officer

VO: Good Morning

VO: Please give me your 221g and PP. Have you brought all the documents we asked?

Me: Yes mam.

VO: Please handover your entire file packet to me

Me: Sure. (I handed it over to her through the glass window)

VO: Tell me about your company

Me: Gave company details

VO: What is the size of your company, and where is the physical location?

Me: It's approximately 300 employees and it is located in Arlington, VA.

VO: Give me client letter

Me: To which I replied, that we are not outsourcing consulting firm, but an IT consulting firm which means we do not work at client location but we work at our own office. 

VO: I understand sir, you work for a client and you must have a client letter

Me: I explained her again about IT consulting firm, and shown the letter my company gave on why don't have client letter ( on official letter head with CEO signature)

VO: Which means you don't have a client letter?

Me: Yes mam

VO: Please explain what you do in the company?

Me: Explained my job description and my work in my project.

VO: Tell me your client name?

Me: Gave her my client details

VO: Tell me more about your work activities?

Me: Gave her detailed technical description of my work

VO: Do you have physical office in States?

Me: Yes mam, it is in Arlington, VA.

While interviewing me, Officer had a colleague standing beside her watching the entire process. Officer took time to explaining her the steps right from the beginning till the end of the interview. I thought she might be shadowing this officer on how to do these interviews. 

VO: Please explain me about  your client and where do they reside?

Me: gave client company details and where are they are physically located.

VO: Give me your I-129

Me: Since she is holding my file packet, I told her where it is in the documents.

VO: Give me your W2's and Pay stubs

Me: I gave her my 3 months recent pay stubs and last 3 years W2's

VO: Where do you live in States?

Me: I told her where I live

VO: Are you married?

Me: Yes

VO: Do you have children?

Me: Yes, and I have 2 children

VO: Are they born in  States?

VO: Do you know your rights in States?

VO: Your documents are approved and you can collect your visa in 3 to 5 business days. 

Me: Thank you officer!

During this process, I thought for a moment that she is not willing to give me visa, but by God's grace she approved mine. I came out and collected my smart watch from the deposit store ( no need to give money, it is a free service offered by cops).

My advice to everyone who are in 221g is, please carry out all the documents with you whether it is necessary or not necessary. Better to be safe than sorry. 

Visa Tracking Status

August 21st: Dropbox

August 22nd: Administrative Processing

August 29th: Passport returned with 221g blue slip

September 12th: Personal Interview

September 16th: Status changed to Issued.

Wish you guys all the best!

Hi Guys,

I am sharing my experience with this community so that who were in same boat will get some details and knowledge on this process.

I was working with an employer since 2016 and I got my visa stamped for the same employer in Feb 2017 (from Dropbox to Personal Interview via 221g slip). Reason for 221g slip during Feb 2017 was asking my Company tax documents which we provided and cleared the process.

After 2 years, I came to visit India again while working for same employer with valid petition from Feb 2019 to Jan 2022. This time I thought it will go smoothly because  a) Visa stamped prior with same employer. b) Embassy verified my employer documents in my last visit.

However, I got 221g blue slip again asking me to attend for personal interview and bring the following documents

From Petitioner:

a) copy of supported documents filed with USCIS

b) Recent letter from US client company ( client letter)

c) Technical Description of project, timelines, status etc..

From Me:

d) W-2 for last two years

My employer took almost 2 weeks of time to get above documents to me. 

I attended my interview on 12th September in Chennai Consulate. It was unusually large number of people for Visa stamping, and this time they had separate line for 221g blue slips. Most people got their 221g in dropbox option and we are not considered as regular stamping interview candidates. 

Below is the process they followed:

* Inside Consulate, they have not allowed smart watches along with mobile phones. My family left me at the gate and security inside consulate asked me to make my own arrangements for storing smart watch, which I have no clue what to do at that point. Deposit Box persons wont accept smart watches to store, its only for mobile phones. I had to come out from consulate and request deposit box persons a lot to keep my watch with them. 

* We were asked to sit separately from the regular folks, and we were sent once in a while when regular crowd is reduced. 

* They did ten printing again in the consulate, and they wrote counter number on top of our 221g slips. ( Probably those counters were specialized in handling these cases)

* 221g blue slips had a separate queue at the interview windows and among the two cases before me had given 221g again and one was rejected. 

* I went to the Officer and she seems to be very serious and my interview went almost for 20  minutes. 

Me: Good Morning Officer

VO: Good Morning

VO: Please give me your 221g and PP. Have you brought all the documents we asked?

VO: Please handover your entire file packet to me

Me: Sure. (I handed it over to her through the glass window)

VO: Tell me about your company

Me: Gave company details

VO: What is the size of your company, and where is the physical location?

Me: It's approximately 300 employees and it is located in Arlington, VA.

VO: Give me client letter

Me: To which I replied, that we are not outsourcing consulting firm, but an IT consulting firm which means we do not work at client location but we work at our own office. 

VO: I understand sir, you work for a client and you must have a client letter

Me: I explained her again about IT consulting firm, and shown the letter my company gave on why don't have client letter ( on official letter head with CEO signature)

VO: Which means you don't have a client letter?

Me: Yes mam

VO: Please explain what you do in the company?

Me: Explained my job description and my work in my project.

VO: Tell me your client name?

Me: Gave her my client details

VO: Tell me more about your work activities?

Me: Gave her detailed technical description of my work

VO: Do you have physical office in States?

Me: Yes mam, it is in Arlington, VA.

While interviewing me, Officer had a colleague standing beside her watching the entire process. Officer took time to explaining her the steps right from the beginning till the end of the interview. I thought she might be shadowing this officer on how to do these interviews. 

VO: Please explain me about  your client and where do they reside?

Me: gave client company details and where are they are physically located.

VO: Give me your I-129

Me: Since she is holding my file packet, I told her where it is in the documents.

VO: Give me your W2's and Pay stubs

Me: I gave her my 3 months recent pay stubs and last 3 years W2's

VO: Where do you live in States?

Me: I told her where I live

VO: Are you married?

Me: Yes

VO: Do you have children?

Me: Yes, and I have 2 children

VO: Are they born in  States?

VO: Do you know your rights in States?

VO: Your documents are approved and you can collect your visa in 3 to 5 business days. 

Me: Thank you officer!

During this process, I thought for a moment that she is not willing to give me visa, but by God's grace she approved mine. I came out and collected my smart watch from the deposit store ( no need to give money, it is a free service offered by cops).

My advice to everyone who are in 221g is, please carry out all the documents with you whether it is necessary or not necessary. Better to be safe than sorry. 

Visa Tracking Status

August 21st: Dropbox

August 22nd: Administrative Processing

August 29th: Passport returned with 221g blue slip

September 12th: Personal Interview

September 16th: Status changed to Issued.

Wish you guys all the best!