change of status from H1 to H4

SBARS

Hello, 

I am on H4 from the last couple of years and living in USA. My  current H4 is valid till end of 2019. Recently my H1B is approved for 3 months which was filed in the last year (2018) and when i received the  I797 copy, i see that the name was printed incorrectly. When I went to apply SSN, they verified my DL & Passport and they asked me to correct the name in I797 copy and reapply for SSN. 

I asked my employer to correct the I797 copy, they mentioned that its not doable and need to file the next extn for the name correction. I am looking for the new project to file the extn but have been asked to provide the SSN for the opportunities which i am receiving. So i am stuck in between this now. Meanwhile my H1B is expiring soon on 30th Sep 2019. 

I wanted to know how could i retain my H1B status?

What if I don't get the new project before the H1 expiry to file the H1B extn? Does my previous H4 validity still works?

Do I have to reapply for my H4 status again?

Can  I join the other employer with the current H1B without working for the current employer. 

Please let me know your answers as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

SBARS

Edited by SBARS
2 hours ago, SBARS said:

Hello, 

I am on H4 from the last couple of years and living in USA. My  current H4 is valid till end of 2019. Recently my H1B is approved for 3 months which was filed in the last year (2018) and when i received the  I797 copy, i see that the name was printed incorrectly. When I went to apply SSN, they verified my DL & Passport and they asked me to correct the name in I797 copy and reapply for SSN. 

I asked my employer to correct the I797 copy, they mentioned that its not doable and need to file the next extn for the name correction. I am looking for the new project to file the extn but have been asked to provide the SSN for the opportunities which i am receiving. So i am stuck in between this now. Meanwhile my H1B is expiring soon on 30th Sep 2019. 

I wanted to know how could i retain my H1B status?

What if I don't get the new project before the H1 expiry to file the H1B extn? Does my previous H4 validity still works?

Can  I join the other employer with the current H1B without working for the current employer. 

Please let me know your answers as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

SBARS

You have to re apply for H-4 status. 

You need to check with new employer's attorney.