H1B to H4 EAD Conversion - Reg.

vedsow

Hello,

Here's my scenario. I am currently working full time on H1B and my 6 year H1B time ends in May 2020.  My company will not be filing for my greencard and has advised me to convert to H4 EAD instead. I understand that H4 EAD is likely to be suspended by the government soon but it is the only open option for me right now.  Also, I am currently expecting and cannot travel until March 2020.

Below are my questions:

1. Can I file for H4 and H4 EAD at the same time?

2. When is the best time , in my case to file for the conversion (Keeping in mind my H1 is until May2020)

3. What happens if my H4 is denied before May 2020? Can I still legally continue to work until May?

Please advise,

Thanks.

1. Yes, apply for COS asap as its taking 6+ months to get approved. Sooner the better.

2. Sooner the better. You have around 9 months which will give you enough time. You can still work on H1 until your H4 and H4 EAD is approved. If your H4 is approved and H4 EAD is still pending you will have to stop working until you receive your EAD card.

3. Yes, you can continue working on H1 until May.