Can H1B own a share in new startup firm

Mantu

Dear All,

Currently I am on H1B which will expire in Sep 2019. My employer has already filed for my extension. We are planning to start a business on 50:50 basis. My other partner is a Citizen who is registering company in his name. I won't be an employee in this, I would be working with my current employer only. Can I invest and get profits in US? Should I ask my friend to get my name enrolled in the contract also for sharing profits or how will it work? Or please suggest me the right way how to invest and get returns from this company? Should I enrol myself into contract so that in future I don't get deceived from my friend who will be the primary owner? please suggest me right way so that I can get returns also from profits and shouldn't get ditched in future.

Regards

Mantu

Nope on H1B you can just buy shares in open market and get dividends and profits/loss of selling your shares but no direct investment and not running in day to day activity.

please suggest me the right way how to invest and get returns from this company?  - This is not a free finanical solutions forum. If you are really interested in buisness please put some time, effort, and money and consult immigration attorney and financial/legal/tax advisor.

Edited by gopalakrishnach