Travel to Bahamas with short visa validity

harsh12

I have a stamped H1B visa valid till Sept. 10th and I have planned a vacation to Bahamas via cruise between Aug 25th - 30th. So while returning to USA at POE can there be any issues as I'll have only 10days of validity remaining?

I'll be submitting my case for extension mostly in August 1st week, thus want to be sure if a foreign travel can have any negative impact while my case is pending?

Thanks

If you travel out of the US while the status extension is pending the status extension will be denied because you don't have a status while abroad, so there is no status to extend.

Your employer can file the status extension once you come back.

There is no issue while returning as long as your travel is via closed loop course (Start and end at same port).

However, you need to have your extension approved before expiration of H1b visa. H1b extension can be filed six month in advance of expiration. What is the reason your employer has delaying so much?

If I was in your situation, I would encourage them to submit application right away and do it premium, so approval will arrive before expiration, regardless your travel.

No issues. If asked just inform the IO that the extension is in process.

Note, the risk is if your extension is approved while you are travelling then the extension of stay I-94 that you will get with the approval will be negated by the 10-day I-94 you will get at the POE.

Edited by rara5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 11:53 PM, JoeF said:

If you travel out of the US while the status extension is pending the status extension will be denied because you don't have a status while abroad, so there is no status to extend.

Your employer can file the status extension once you come back.

My I94 and Visa stamping both will expire on Sep 10th and I'll be travelling to Bahamas on Aug 25th to 30th via closed loop. My extn mostly going to be filled in Aug 1st week. So in this case still I'll be am out of status?

On 7/1/2019 at 11:37 AM, rara5 said:

No issues. If asked just inform the IO that the extension is in process.

Note, the risk is if your extension is approved while you are travelling then the extension of stay I-94 that you will get with the approval will be negated by the 10-day I-94 you will get at the POE.

Thanks for your suggestion. 

On 7/1/2019 at 9:19 AM, care_candidate said:

There is no issue while returning as long as your travel is via closed loop course (Start and end at same port).

However, you need to have your extension approved before expiration of H1b visa. H1b extension can be filed six month in advance of expiration. What is the reason your employer has delaying so much?

If I was in your situation, I would encourage them to submit application right away and do it premium, so approval will arrive before expiration, regardless your travel.

Thanks. I got your point.