B-1 Visa Eligibility as a Canadian PR

Mr.

Hello Experts,

Is a Canadian PR eligible for B-1 visa? I'm little unclear with the information on this page.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192/~/canadian--citizens%2Fresidents%2Flanded-immigrants-entering-the-u.s.

Past history: F-1, H-1B with an approved I-140 from US. 

Also, never worked in Canada earlier since I got my PR recently. The company I was working in US wanted me to meet the Business people once in a month and as part of it, I have to travel to US. Just trying to figure out what my options would be.

Your valuable suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JoeF said:

If you are not a Canadian citizen you need a visa (or, if you are a citizen of a country under the visa waiver program, mostly European and Australia, you can use the visa waiver program.)

Thanks @JoeF. My question was more specific about the B-1 visa.

1. Am I eligible for B-1 provided I have an approved I-140?
  2. If I am eligible, are the hours/days I am here in US on B-1 not billable? 
On 7/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, Mr. said:

Thanks @JoeF. My question was more specific about the B-1 visa.

1. Am I eligible for B-1 provided I have an approved I-140?
  2. If I am eligible, are the hours/days I am here in US on B-1 not billable? 

You asked "Is a Canadian PR eligible for B-1 visa? " That's what I answered.

A visitor visa does not allow immigration intent. You have shown immigration intent with the I-140. So, it is unlikely you would get a B1 visa. And a visitor can not get paid by a US company.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, JoeF said:

You asked "Is a Canadian PR eligible for B-1 visa? " That's what I answered.

A visitor visa does not allow immigration intent. You have shown immigration intent with the I-140. So, it is unlikely you would get a B1 visa. And a visitor can not get paid by a US company.

Thanks @JoeF. Does that mean, once I leave the country, I wouldn't be able to come back to US? Or, if I cross the border either to Mexico or Canada or any of the British Virgin Islands, would I not be able to come back to US? CBP website doesn't show my I-94 but my I-797 says that my I-94 is valid until end of this year. So, wondering if I leave to Mexico or Canada or any of the British Virgin Islands and come back to US within 30 days with the existing I-797 without going for a US Consulate for Visa. I appreciate if you could please shed some light on this.

Edited by Mr.

If you are currently in the US, what is your status? You earlier implied that you are outside the US: "I have to travel to US."

AVR is for people in certain statuses, and doesn't apply to the British Virgin Islands (unless you are in F1 status, I believe.)

If you are in H1 status, you can use AVR within 30 days from Mexico and Canada, but you would return in H1 status. The I-94 is invalid if you want to enter in a different status.

So, nothing of this has any meaning with a B1. It is rather unclear what any of this has to do with your situation.

Edited by JoeF
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 9:06 PM, JoeF said:

If you are currently in the US, what is your status? You earlier implied that you are outside the US: "I have to travel to US."

AVR is for people in certain statuses, and doesn't apply to the British Virgin Islands (unless you are in F1 status, I believe.)

If you are in H1 status, you can use AVR within 30 days from Mexico and Canada, but you would return in H1 status. The I-94 is invalid if you want to enter in a different status.

So, nothing of this has any meaning with a B1. It is rather unclear what any of this has to do with your situation.

I apologize @JoeF if I didn't make it clear earlier. My company is not going to renew my H-1B and wanted me to work from Canada. So, I will be moving to Canada as I am a PR there. Since, I will have to visit the Stakeholders of the company in US once a month, I intend to use B-1 visa as this is supposed to be a short Business trip. Would that be a legitimate way of doing it? Or, does it raise any flags? Thanks for all your insights on this.