All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hameshatumkochaha

Father got GC, which insurance to buy that will cover him now?

Hi,

My father (67 years old) got GC from parent category about a week ago.  He had insurance from ICICI until now which says "Non-Immigrant".  It ends in a couple of months.  I just noticed the "non-immigrant" portion and I guess that insurance now won't cover him anymore.  

1. Am I right? 

2. Which insurance options does he have now?  I explored and found that there is $800 per month etc options.  That cannot be right.  There must be cheaper options and ways to find them.  Please help by pointing out how do I go about it.  

Thanks

Edited by hameshatumkochaha

There are the insurance marketplaces. Insurance for an elderly person will be expensive.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, newacct said:

What state is he living in?

Arizona.  

His income with all dividends etc is expected to be ~$10000

Further comments and guidance is welcome.

We called an agent who said we should apply for medicaid and once denied, there seems to be a way to get basic insurance ~$900 which costs us $0 or so because the government somehow subsidizes.  Obamacare?  If so, that's great.  Comments and directions are welcome here as well.

Thanks,

Is it too much trouble to look at Healthcare.gov, the official site for OBAMACARE and calculate his premiums.? 

If his income is ten thousand Dollars a year very good insurance for him should cost less than 50 USD every month with the government paying the remaining 1300 or so dollars a month. He is NOT Eligible for Medicaid and will never be eligible for Medicare. Locals including agents have great difficulty comprehending a 67-year-old adult with no medicare.

Make sure he will file his taxes every year and also declare assets abroad as required.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:16 PM, hameshatumkochaha said:

Arizona.  

His income with all dividends etc is expected to be ~$10000

Further comments and guidance is welcome.

We called an agent who said we should apply for medicaid and once denied, there seems to be a way to get basic insurance ~$900 which costs us $0 or so because the government somehow subsidizes.  Obamacare?  If so, that's great.  Comments and directions are welcome here as well.

Thanks,

He is not eligible for Medicaid in Arizona (AHCCCS medical assistance) until he has been a permanent resident for 5 years. He is also not eligible for Medicare until he has been a permanent resident for 5 years; and after 5 years, assuming that neither he nor his spouse has paid 10 years of Medicare taxes, he would have to pay a premium for Medicare Part A, whereas people who've worked in the US for 10 years get Medicare Part A for free.

He can get a plan from the insurance exchange, a.k.a Obamacare marketplace (Healthcare.gov). This is true even though he is over 65, since he is not eligible for Medicare. You might hear some people say that people over 65 cannot get a plan from the marketplace, but that is only true for people who are eligible for premium-free Medicare, which your father is not. There is usually a subsidy (premium tax credit) for marketplace plans if his income is between 100% and 400% of the poverty level, but his income might be below 100% of the poverty level. There is a provision that he can get the subsidy if his income is below 100% of the poverty level if he cannot get Medicaid just because of his immigration status, which I believe is true for him (I believe AHCCCS in Arizona is otherwise available to adults his age with below 100% of poverty level), so he can probably still get the subsidy.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, pontevecchio said:

Is it too much trouble to look at Healthcare.gov, the official site for OBAMACARE and calculate his premiums.? 

If his income is ten thousand Dollars a year very good insurance for him should cost less than 50 USD every month with the government paying the remaining 1300 or so dollars a month. He is NOT Eligible for Medicaid and will never be eligible for Medicare. Locals including agents have great difficulty comprehending a 67-year-old adult with no medicare.

Make sure he will file his taxes every year and also declare assets abroad as required.

Hello, I have a question in this regard. Since the yearly income will be less than taxable income or less than 100% poverty level, I think, advance premium tax credit will not be available, am I right? Yo mentioned government paying the remaining $1300/-, is this apart from the tax credit? If yes, kindly describe under what welfare scheme. I am in a similar situation and I am in Georgia.

One can claim the advance Credit in the form of a refund at the year-end or one can have the Government pay the difference monthly. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, JoeF said:

There are the insurance marketplaces. Insurance for an elderly person will be expensive.

If person opts to use market place insurance then Lately in the news that if GC holder has utilized any kind of welfare can be declined Citizenship. Is that not the case?

OBAMA Care is NOT welfare. I can directly contradict the statement that Insurance for an elderly person will be expensive as my Mom, a GC holder utilizes Obama Care. . The premiums are solely based on Income. 

Edited by pontevecchio

On 8/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, savi9494 said:

If person opts to use market place insurance then Lately in the news that if GC holder has utilized any kind of welfare can be declined Citizenship. Is that not the case?

The ACA (aka Obamacare) is not a public benefit nor welfare. It is an insurance.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:15 PM, savi9494 said:

No. That is not the case. There is a rule on public charge inadmissibility, but 1) inadmissibility does not affect naturalization, and does not generally affect GC holders at all, unless they leave the US for longer than 180 days, and 2) the rule does not consider Obamacare plans or subsidies.