H1B visa interview location and expediting interview

Hi everyone

I am currently a resident of Austin, Texas working in a Fortune 100 company as a direct employee. I have been in US for 5 years and have a valid I-797 and I-140. I came into US through a L1A visa that got changed to H1B - after which I changed jobs. I never went back to India for stamping and have been working under a valid I-797 during my 3 year tenure in the current company.

Now I have an urgent need to travel to India in the month of June and have to get myself stamped in the process. The current wait times at Hyderabad consulate which is what I automatically get after I enter consulate interview scheduling form is 71+ days. However I need to return immediately for my work after staying in India for the month of June.

My passport is 8 years old and has address of Hyderabad location. Passports for my spouse and kid who will be with me are issued in US and they have US locations.

So I had two questions -

1.  I know that US consulates have process in place to request for expedited interview process. I have a strong work requirement to be here in July - but is pre-poning interview appointment advisable?
2.  Can I schedule appointment for visa at any US consulate in India avoiding Hyderabad since that has a longer wait time? Delhi only has 39 days currently.

Can somone please help

Edited by pklanka

71+ days wait is a BS that they want you to believe. Do what I say. Create account on ustraveldocs. Pay your fees and book an appointment. You WILL be able to book an appointment in next 2 weeks for sure. The wait times they tell you on ustraveldocs or consulate or DHS websites are incorrect. The real appointment dates are only available after you pay the fee and try to schedule it after the fee is paid.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, pklanka said:

Hi everyone

I am currently a resident of Austin, Texas working in a Fortune 100 company as a direct employee. I have been in US for 5 years and have a valid I-797 and I-140. I came into US through a L1A visa that got changed to H1B - after which I changed jobs. I never went back to India for stamping and have been working under a valid I-797 during my 3 year tenure in the current company.

Now I have an urgent need to travel to India in the month of June and have to get myself stamped in the process. The current wait times at Hyderabad consulate which is what I automatically get after I enter consulate interview scheduling form is 71+ days. However I need to return immediately for my work after staying in India for the month of June.

My passport is 8 years old and has address of Hyderabad location. Passports for my spouse and kid who will be with me are issued in US and they have US locations.

So I had two questions -

1.  I know that US consulates have process in place to request for expedited interview process. I have a strong work requirement to be here in July - but is pre-poning interview appointment advisable?
2.  Can I schedule appointment for visa at any US consulate in India avoiding Hyderabad since that has a longer wait time? Delhi only has 39 days currently.

Can somone please help

1. Expedited interview process is only for extreme emergency circumstances, they will not entertain work related urgency.

2. Yes, you can do that.

You can start the process and keep looking for dates. They keep on changing as lot of folks cancel at last moment. 

On 4/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, shekar11# said:

He cannot go to Mexico because he is doing a COS from L-1 to H-1.

Correct Just adding some more info to this - Change of Visa Category Stamping is not possible in Mexico (F1 to H1B, L1 to H1B etc.,)

But, change of status from H1 to H4 or H4 to H1B is possible in Mexico, as both comes under same H visa category.

Change of visa category stamping is possible in Canada or Home Country.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, xTDx said:

71+ days wait is a BS that they want you to believe. Do what I say. Create account on ustraveldocs. Pay your fees and book an appointment. You WILL be able to book an appointment in next 2 weeks for sure. The wait times they tell you on ustraveldocs or consulate or DHS websites are incorrect. The real appointment dates are only available after you pay the fee and try to schedule it after the fee is paid.

+1   

Sometime.... Even if you find dates are booked, keep checking, If someone cancels & you can get the dates.

I'm on a similar boat - looking for visa appointments for my H1B stamping in Chennai consulate, and I'm seeing late June/July 1st week for availability. Does this mean that all the earlier appointments are fully booked and I'm replying on cancellations only, or there is a possibility that the consulate opens up some early dates and not all their slots are opened up for booking?