Impact of Marijuana and other Criminal Matters on Immigration

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the impact of marijuana and other criminal matters on immigration.        

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.
2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.
3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.
4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:19 PM, Dispnamemc said:

If one had consumed marijuana with and/or without a prescription in a state that allows both medical and recreational marijuana, what is the risk of green card application (I-485) getting declined if the medical report is clean?

The following link may help to answer your questions in this regard: https://www.murthy.com/2014/11/17/serious-immigration-consequences-for-marijuana-despite-state-law-changes/

On 4/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, SunnySharma said:

Is a one-time marijuana use while on a non-immigrant visa considered grounds for a permanent ban? 

In addition to the above link the following may be helpful: https://www.murthy.com/2019/04/03/i-am-in-h1b-status-and-am-in-the-process-of-applying-for-a-green-card-if-a-doctor-gives-me-a-prescription-for-medical-marijuana-will-that-impact-my-green-card-case/

To discuss the situation in more detail, it is advisable to speak to one of our attorneys experienced with these issues. 

On 4/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, SunnySharma said:

Is a one-time marijuana use while on a non-immigrant visa considered grounds for a permanent ban? 

The specifics are important to answer your question. Accordingly, it is advisable to call our office and speak to one of our attorneys on the matter.