Speeding tickets

hema123

Hi greetings to all,  I have a question regarding the  traffic tickets I had in the past. I am due to file my N-400 in Jul 19. I was told by a friend that any outstanding tickets the last 5 years may be a concern. The last ticket I has was only in Jun 12 so its beyond the 5 year period.

However I believe they have a question in N-400 if I had ever a speeding ticket and I believe I will have to provide details like when I got it, is it from the city police/trooper, county I got the citation etc. I had some 4 tickets in all all before 2012 and I do not remember any details or do I have them. I did not know that they would be required at the N-400 filing time.

How can I handle this issue. Can I just say that I had these and leave the other particulars blank. There are nothing outstanding i.e I have not paid or something like that.

Thanks in advance. A quick replay would be highly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

As per N-400 instructions given by USCIS:

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if:
(1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;
(2) The incident led to an arrest; or
(3) The incident seriously injured another person.
You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not
involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

If these conditions are not met, you don't need to mention on the form N400.

7 hours ago, Sup-Recruitment said:

If these conditions are not met, you don't need to mention on the form N400.

WRONG! You don't have to provide documentation, BUT you still need to LIST it.

Please learn to understand the difference between having to provide documentation vs having to list it. Thank you.

1 hour ago, to_vaib said:

Yes I'm aware of that but the question was regarding speeding ticket and I dont think you need to mention that. N-400 specifically says that you need to report it only when it lead to an arrest.

No, it does not say that. It says that you only need to provide documentation if it led to an arrest (or the fine was over $500.)

A speeding ticket is a citation (look at the actual ticket, it says "citation"), and citations have to be listed. No but or if. Part 12, question 23: "Have you ever been arrested, cited, ..." A speeding ticket is a citation, so under point 29, you have to list it.

And that's not within the last 5 years, but "ever."

That's all there is to it.

Edited by JoeF
  • 4 weeks later...

YES IT DOES SAY THAT. You need to read the instructions again at https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

It clearly says ONLY if you are arrested or detained, then you need to provide the documents related to that. 

Are you telling me that if you dont list all citations, you will not get the citizenship? You do know that speeding tickets are handled by state. These are not federal citations. So why would they need that?

16 hours ago, to_vaib said:

YES IT DOES SAY THAT. You need to read the instructions again at https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

It clearly says ONLY if you are arrested or detained, then you need to provide the documents related to that. 

Are you telling me that if you dont list all citations, you will not get the citizenship? You do know that speeding tickets are handled by state. These are not federal citations. So why would they need that?

Sigh. Again, not having to provide documentation does NOT NOT NOT mean that you don't have to list the tickets. Geez.

English is not that hard of a language.

You absolutely have to list ALL speeding tickets. You don't have to provide documentation in certain cases, BUT you still have to LIST the tickets. It is RIGHT THERE in the documentation. Please read AND understand it!

And yes, a lie on the form could result in not getting citizenship, or later having it revoked.

And what kind of mindset is that anyway, suggesting a lie would be ok???

Edited by JoeF
  • 2 weeks later...

I think its YOU who needs a lesson on Reading English capabilities. Listing all the citations on the form IS KIND of documentation, which you obviously dont understand, so I'm not going to argue here.

You, also, obviously DID NOT read the link I posted as that link is the official document from the USCIS. And it DOES NOT say anything about listing all the tickets. So I have no clue what documentation you are referring to. Must be in your mind as USICS documentation (as provided above) DOES NOT say that.

I understand very well that a lie could result in the denial HOWEVER not listing something that is not required at the first place is not considered a lie. Its called following the process.

Oh and yes.....sigh here as well!

Sigh. Really, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Documentation means actual payment confirmation, etc.

It is really not that hard to understand.

If you don't list speeding violations you are lying, hiding a material fact, which can result in getting citizenship denied or revoked later.

Ask a lawyer. You will find that I am right.

What part of the question "Have you EVER been arrested, cited, ..." don't you understand??? Plain English language. Even a caveman can understand it.

Speeding tickets have to be listed. Period.

Edited by JoeF