I-94 Extension after Passport Renewal with outdated VISA stamp

Jr21

Hi, 

Recently I have renewed my passport and want to extend my I-94 date to match with I-797(valid till June 2020). Current I-94 is still valid till August 2019. 

Currently I work for employer B and I have H1B visa stamp from employer A in my old passport and that stamp is already expired. 

I am planning to go to San Diego-Mexico border to extend my I-94 however I have some concerns:

1. Mostly everyone have to cross the border in order to extend the I94. Do i need to have Mexico visa since my current VISA foil in passport is expired? I have valid I797 and I94 though!!

2. Will US immigration allow me to enter with expired VISA stamp? I have read about Auto-revalidation rule which says that person who has visited Mexico/Canada for less than 30 days,  can enter US with expired visa stamp and with valid I797 and I94. 

3. By referring point#2, do i have to go for stamping in that case?

Thank you very much in advance for any helpful response. 

On 4/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, Jr21 said:

Hi, 

Recently I have renewed my passport and want to extend my I-94 date to match with I-797(valid till June 2020). Current I-94 is still valid till August 2019. 

Currently I work for employer B and I have H1B visa stamp from employer A in my old passport and that stamp is already expired. 

I am planning to go to San Diego-Mexico border to extend my I-94 however I have some concerns:

1. Mostly everyone have to cross the border in order to extend the I94. Do i need to have Mexico visa since my current VISA foil in passport is expired? I have valid I797 and I94 though!!

2. Will US immigration allow me to enter with expired VISA stamp? I have read about Auto-revalidation rule which says that person who has visited Mexico/Canada for less than 30 days,  can enter US with expired visa stamp and with valid I797 and I94. 

3. By referring point#2, do i have to go for stamping in that case?

Thank you very much in advance for any helpful response. 

1. How do you think you can come back without having a valid US visa stamp. That option is only for folks who have an un-expired US visa.

You need to ask your employer to extend your H-1 by which you can also get a new I-94 with that. That is your only option.

Archived