Terminated - H1B - 60 day grace period - receipt OK or need to start employment within 60 days

Astitva

Terminated from employment -- 19th February, 2019. So, the 60th day will be ~April 20th, 2019

Got an offer, filed for H1B transfer (Premium), received & updated on USCIS website - April 5, 2019
Employer is suggesting to wait for approval to start employment and is silent on my concerns of being out of status by April 20th.

Request you to advise if I would indeed be out of status if I do not JOIN the new company by April 20th or the fact that the transfer petition was received well within 60 day period will keep me in-status and legal?

Also, in case the employer insists that I cannot join before H1B transfer approval, would traveling out of the country and then waiting for approval notice and getting a stamping done raises the risk of visa rejection during stamping? In which case, should prodding the employer to enable joining on receipt should be more advisable?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am about to end my job with the current employer on 28th, June 2019. I have a valid h1b visa until June-2020. Can I travel outside the country after I quit my current job (i.e., in 60 day grace period) without having a new transfer petition filed with a future employer. I am hoping to get the new petition filed after i return back to the US? Please advise if an international travel is fine before a h1b transfer petition is files.

TIA!