Restart/Use remaining 3 years of H1B after returning to USA after a gap of 8 months

MithilB

My case is as below:

I have done my 2 years Masters from US and have worked with a single employer for first 3 years of my H1B which ended on 12 September 2018. When my employer was planning to file H1B extension they found that my I-94 was expired for 7 months, since my old passport had an earlier end date. With a possible 3 years bar and an uncertain time period for 212 d3 waiver, my employer withdrew the H1B extension application in September 2018. Around the same time I received I-140 approval for my green card filing with same employer. Current status of my green card case shows approved on USCIS website. Not sure if my employer has revoked/withdrew the green card application. 

Now, I’m back in US on H4 visa status and didn’t need to file any waiver. Officer at the consulate said it’s a common mistake and granted me visa. My wife has H1B visa but she doesn’t have I-140 approved, so I can’t work on H4 EAD. Given these scenarios, my questions are:
1. Since I’ve used 3 years of H1B, if I find a job - with same employer or a new one, would I be cap exempt for remaining 3 years of my H1B? Can my H1B for remaining 3 years be filed at any time of the year or did I just miss the April deadline?
2. Do I need to start the new job with the same employer who sponsored me for first 3 years? Is it like, the need to restart my H1B for same position and then only I can change employer in future? Or any employer, who is willing to hire me and sponsor my H1B, can file for H1B for remaining 3 years for me. 
3. How do I find from USCIS if my green card application is still active and was not revoked/withdrew by my employer. It’s been more than 180 days since my I-140 was approved. Would that be of any help in my situation? 

Archived