H4 and H4 EAD Extension

My H4 and H4 EAD is stamped and valid until September 2019. I wanted to know 

1. How soon can I go for H4 stamping before the old H4 expires? 
2. How far in advance can we apply for H4 extension without going for stamping? 
3. How soon can my husband go for his H1 stamping? His visa is valid until September 2019. 
4. What is the processing time for H4 + H4EAD extension? 

Also, can we file H4 extension on our own? Do we need attorney to file this?

21 hours ago, megh_2088 said:

My H4 and H4 EAD is stamped and valid until September 2019. I wanted to know 

1. How soon can I go for H4 stamping before the old H4 expires? 
2. How far in advance can we apply for H4 extension without going for stamping? 
3. How soon can my husband go for his H1 stamping? His visa is valid until September 2019. 
4. What is the processing time for H4 + H4EAD extension? 

Also, can we file H4 extension on our own? Do we need attorney to file this?

You can file for H-1 exetnsion 180 days before expiry. Best option is to do H-1, H-4 and H- EAD extension together in premium. It will cost you a bit but you can get all 3 approved together with no hassle. You can also file H-4 and H4 EAD by yourself to save money, no need of attorney but processing time is a big concern.

Thanks for your response.

My husband's attorney filed his extension along with his amendment and we were not aware of it. He got his H1 approved until end of 2021. Both of us have our visa stamped until Sept 2019.

My question is can we go for visa stamping 5 months before our current one expires?  My EAD is until Sept 2019 and I am afraid that my H4 and H4 EAD wont be approved within 5 months. I was thinking of getting my H4 stamped and apply for EAD which has faster processing time when compared to H4+H4 EAD extension.

20 hours ago, megh_2088 said:

Thanks for your response.

My husband's attorney filed his extension along with his amendment and we were not aware of it. He got his H1 approved until end of 2021. Both of us have our visa stamped until Sept 2019.

My question is can we go for visa stamping 5 months before our current one expires?  My EAD is until Sept 2019 and I am afraid that my H4 and H4 EAD wont be approved within 5 months. I was thinking of getting my H4 stamped and apply for EAD which has faster processing time when compared to H4+H4 EAD extension.

Yes you can go for stamping based on your husband's newly approved I-797. No issues. This is the easy and fast option. You can come back and apply for EAD renewal which will have less processing time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi @megh_2088  

This is a question from my wife:

I read your post from 2019. I am in a similar situation as you were back in March/April 2019. I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering.

1. Did you go for h4 visa stamping in Canada and was it in person interview or drop box?

2. Did you have a valid stamped visa on your passport at the time of interview and if yes how much was the validity on it?

3. And did they cancel your old visa and issued a new one based off of your husband's new approved i797? And what start date did they give on your new visa?

I would greatly appreciate if you could answer my questions!

Thank you,

Ghouse and Rahila

EGH_2088MEGH_2088MEGH_2088