All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NanSam

B2 (Visitor) visa for parents

Hello, Currently i am holding H1B visa. I am inviting my parents for a vacation (3 months). My father is retired and mother is home maker (never worked). I am sponsoring their visa. My brother-in-law is here in the USA on a J1 visa and my sister will be joining him soon (After my parents come over here or along with my parents) . Should i mention in the DS-160 about this? There is a section any immediate relatives in the USA. 

You will not be sponsoring anything....B2 applicants do not require a 'sponsor' nor an invitation letter....as to completing the DS 160, well, telling the truth is the best approach. Leaving out simple, critical details will have a negative effect on the outcome of an interview, as establishing one's credibility is the most important task for any visa applicant, especially for those applying for a B2 visa.

When was your child born?

There is no sponsoring for visitor visas. You may pay for their trip but that's not sponsoring.

A brother-in-law is not an immediate relative. Your sister is, though.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:41 AM, Noah Lott said:

You will not be sponsoring anything....B2 applicants do not require a 'sponsor' nor an invitation letter....as to completing the DS 160, well, telling the truth is the best approach. Leaving out simple, critical details will have a negative effect on the outcome of an interview, as establishing one's credibility is the most important task for any visa applicant, especially for those applying for a B2 visa.

When was your child born?

Edited by NanSam

On 3/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, pontevecchio said:

A Brother-in law is not an immediate relative.

@pontevecchioThank you so much for your replying. This helps... 🙂

On 3/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, JoeF said:

There is no sponsoring for visitor visas. You may pay for their trip but that's not sponsoring.

A brother-in-law is not an immediate relative. Your sister is, though.

@JoeF   Thank you so much for your reply. Good to know that there is no sponsoring concept for visitor visa. I was in a wrong assumption. Thanks again 🙂

@Noah Lott   

what do you mean by "when was your child born?". Offending kinda question... 

I am clearly stating that they are coming over for a vacation.  

Thank you so much for replying back. 

I believe the question was obvious...I would expect that an experienced CO might well ask it...because, as we have often seen on this site (and others) that many people 'invite' their parents or in-laws over not to visit, but to provide full time child care so both other parents can return to work....and quite often, these same people ask how to avoid telling the CO this, or what supposed clever reasons might be given for a visit....etc...I used to ask that question a lot....and the time it took many applicants to answer was telling in and of itself, as many would lie after a long pause (why pause over such a simple question?)...remember, babysitting as B2 visa holder is not allowed under US law....period.

I know you are stating something....but to a seasoned CO, other questions are usually needed....just because someone says something does not make that something true....people have been known to lie during their visa interviews....or to try and offer silly excuses....happens all the time....which just makes it harder for bona fide, genuine tourists to get a B2 visa....blame the ones who lied not the ones who denied.

12 hours ago, NanSam said:

@Noah Lott   

what do you mean by "when was your child born?". Offending kinda question... 

I am clearly stating that they are coming over for a vacation.  

Thank you so much for replying back. 

Nothing offensive about that type of question. Applicants can give a simple no/yes. You have to remember that many applicants lie or hide the truth to get a US visa esp B2 visa. Through word of mouth, I'm aware of numerous visitors who secretly work as neighborhood babysitters, tailors, food preparers.. and get paid cash while on a 5.5 month 'visit' to the US. Your parents may not have a grandchild but many, many other applicants aren't as truthful at the interview. 

@Provence , @Noah Lott   

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Yes what you have mentioned is right, when coming on a visitor's visa, it should be solely for tourism and pleasure. I understand the law and obeys it. My parent's visit here are purely tourism. A getaway party for my parents and nothing else. Thanks once again...