Passport expiry happening before I797/visa end date

Vish10987

Would be great if I can get an answer to my query .

- As per my most recent I94 (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/- I have an admit until date of 12/16/2019 (passport expires on 12/16/2019)
- My visa is stamped till 7/25/2020
- My I797 expiry date is 7/25/2020 

1. Could you please let me know when I can apply for extension . 
2. I am going to India end of this month from March 29 - April 27 . I am thinking of renewing the passport once I come back to USA .
If I do not get a new passport with me while re-entering - I believe the I94 end date will still be 12/16/2019 .  Is it a good idea to get a new passport while I am in India using tatkal ? If I get a new passport - do I need to go for any stamping at the US consulate  ? If I renew my passport and come back with old + new passport - I guess I am going to get an I94 end date of 7/25/2020 (as per my I797 end date) 

These are my views and not expert views. Please donot take them legally...

1. Could you please let me know when I can apply for extension .  -- I guess you are asking H1B extension. You can apply 6 months before it expires.

Is it a good idea to get a new passport while I am in India using tatkal ? - I guess it is good.

If I get a new passport - do I need to go for any stamping at the US consulate  ? - since you already have visa stamped in old passport and your I94 till valid on April 27, I guess no need. Carry both passports..

If I renew my passport and come back with old + new passport - I guess I am going to get an I94 end date of 7/25/2020 (as per my I797 end date) - I guess it will be   7/25/2020  since now you have valid new passport...

If you will renew your passport after entering in USA your I94 date still will be 12/16/2019 and after renewal you will have to leave USA again to get new I94. 

If you will get new Passport while in India you do not need to go for stamping. You can use your existing stamp to enter USA and show your I797 at the entry along with your new Passport and you should get updated I94 with end date 7/25/2020

Archived