[F1 to H1b] Is stamping compulsory if I don't travel outside USA?

A4PP

Hello All:

I recently changed my status from F1 student to H1B. I have received an I-797A, that has an I-94 attached below it. I donot plan to visit India any soon (my parents visit me often).

I want to understand if a H1b visa stamp is a necessary document to obtain? Should I still visit India just for the sake of obtaining an H1B visa stamp on my passport?

If H1B visa stamp is not necessary, and if I dont get it, will it cause any problem for - 

1. My current life in H1b status in USA

2. For H1b extension that I need to obtain in coming years

3. In future green card processings

4. If I eventually have to go for H1b stamping after several years when the need comes, will it cause any problem in the visa interview then, just because I didn't obtain a H1b stamp in so many years while I was in H1b status?

Thank you for helping me.

I want to understand if a H1b visa stamp is a necessary document to obtain? Should I still visit India just for the sake of obtaining an H1B visa stamp on my passport? - Unless you donot go out of USA you donot need visa stamping.

1. My current life in H1b status in USA - No

2. For H1b extension that I need to obtain in coming years - No

3. In future green card processings - I am not sure.

4. If I eventually have to go for H1b stamping after several years when the need comes, will it cause any problem in the visa interview then, just because I didn't obtain a H1b stamp in so many years while I was in H1b status? They might ask. But not deciding factor

12 hours ago, A4PP said:

Hello All:

I recently changed my status from F1 student to H1B. I have received an I-797A, that has an I-94 attached below it. I donot plan to visit India any soon (my parents visit me often).

I want to understand if a H1b visa stamp is a necessary document to obtain? Should I still visit India just for the sake of obtaining an H1B visa stamp on my passport?

If H1B visa stamp is not necessary, and if I dont get it, will it cause any problem for - 

1. My current life in H1b status in USA

2. For H1b extension that I need to obtain in coming years

3. In future green card processings

4. If I eventually have to go for H1b stamping after several years when the need comes, will it cause any problem in the visa interview then, just because I didn't obtain a H1b stamp in so many years while I was in H1b status?

Thank you for helping me.

No issues. You can stay in US as long as you got a I-94 attached to your I-797. Looks like you got that, so you are good. Visa is not mandatory unless you travel out of the country or if you don't get a I-94 along with I-797.

Archived