Incorrect annotation (valid start date) on H-1B visa stamp - help!

saintforlife

Hello all - I had two I-797 petitions when I went for my H-1B visa stamping last week:

1. Valid from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2019 (current petition)
2. Valid from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2022 (extension petition)

When I filed the DS-160, I provided my latest petition details because I didn't want a visa stamp that was going to be valid for just a few months. At the interview the consular officer didn't ask me for any documents (including my I-797), and I just assumed everything was fine.

Well I picked up my passport today and I saw that there is an annotation on visa saying "NOT VALID UNTIL 21-JUN-2019". It looks like the officer just completely ignored my current I-797 that's valid till 30th June 2019 and now it looks like I can't return to the US until June.

I am supposed to be travelling back to the USA on March 20th with my family including two small children and I don't have any other valid visa stamp that I can use to enter the US. 

Is there a way the visa stamp can be changed again with a valid start date? I've already emailed support-india@ustraveldocs.com but they will take up to 48 hours to respond. 

I'm not sure what the right option is for me:

1) Apply for another interview in person, 
2) Submit new application is via drop box, or 
3) Compose a letter explaining the annotation error in the visa stamp and attach all supporting documents and try to submit it at my local VFS office for correction.

Please help!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: support-india@ustraveldocs.com got back to me within 24 hours and let me know what documents (all valid I-797s) I needed to submit to get an amended visa stamp. I took them along with my passport and submitted them back at the VFS center. I got the amended visa (new annotation had both my current and future I-797 details) and passport back in 5 business days from the day I submitted the docs at the VFS center.

Archived