Medicaid and citizenship

AMAJAY

My father is 87 years old  with green card for 5.5 years.Although he is not on medical assistance now he was on for earlier for a short period. We have applied for his citizenship in  May ,2018 but still shows processing.I wanted to know

1)does his being on medicaid  affect his eligibility.

2)How many years is the sponsor liable for expenses?

""an affidavit of support is a document an individual signs to accept financial responsibility for another person, usually a relative, who is coming to the United States to live permanently. The person who signs the affidavit of support becomes the sponsor of the relative (or other individual) coming to live in the United States. The sponsor is usually the petitioner of an immigrant petition for a family member.

An affidavit of support is legally enforceable; the sponsor's responsibility usually lasts until the family member or other individual either becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually 10 years).""

As regards the assistance, get a lawyers take. Which state?

3 hours ago, AMAJAY said:

My father is 87 years old  with green card for 5.5 years.Although he is not on medical assistance now he was on for earlier for a short period. We have applied for his citizenship in  May ,2018 but still shows processing.I wanted to know

1)does his being on medicaid  affect his eligibility.

2)How many years is the sponsor liable for expenses?

1. no, the use of Medicaid or any other benefits do not factor into eligibility for naturalization

2 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

""an affidavit of support is a document an individual signs to accept financial responsibility for another person, usually a relative, who is coming to the United States to live permanently. The person who signs the affidavit of support becomes the sponsor of the relative (or other individual) coming to live in the United States. The sponsor is usually the petitioner of an immigrant petition for a family member.

An affidavit of support is legally enforceable; the sponsor's responsibility usually lasts until the family member or other individual either becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually 10 years).""

As regards the assistance, get a lawyers take. Which state?

Thanks for reply.

We are in Maryland.He is diagnosed with Alzheimer and cannot leave him alone in India  as I am the only one.. Although he did not get use medical assistance much  will I have to pay back??

3 hours ago, AMAJAY said:

Thanks for reply.

We are in Maryland.He is diagnosed with Alzheimer and cannot leave him alone in India  as I am the only one.. Although he did not get use medical assistance much  will I have to pay back??

I am not aware of any state that currently sues sponsors for reimbursement.

4 hours ago, AMAJAY said:

Thanks for reply.

What does  "cannot leave him alone in India" mean? As a green card holder, he presumably lives in the US. 

If the State deems it necessary, they could come after the AoS sponsor and bill him for for expenses incurred by the taxpayers. 

5 hours ago, AMAJAY said:

One  of my friends had suggested to go to the local congressman's office to fasten the process of fastening my fathers naturalization process.

Will it be okay to do that?

But the length of time his naturalization application has been pending is not abnormal. It is common for it to take more than a year now. And you haven't provided any good reasons why he needs to be naturalized faster.

Archived