Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
h1b2va

6 Yr H1B expired - Stamping H4 in Canada

Recommended Posts

Hi ,

 

My 6 Year H1b expired and although my my employer filed for I 140 on premium , it was returned as it had to be accompanied by Original Certified Perm document. My employer has misplaced it and now I 140 has been re-applied on regular processing which'll take around 8-12 months . I don't have an H1b extension , and hence looking to go  for the H4 EAD although it's extremely dicey now , in terms of what's gonna be the fate of H4 EAD folks. Still going for it ...

Applied H4 from the US in oct 2018 and since processing is Vermont not sure how long it'll take. Contemplating going to Canada for stamping H4. , so EAD can come quickly

Anybody has any prior experience on this kind of scenario , please share your thoughts.Much appreciated

 

Edited by h1b2va
typo

Share this post


Link to post

We had similar experience and H4 cos took almost a year to approve in vermont service center. Better to get H4 stamping instead of waiting on H4 cos.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/7/2019 at 3:35 PM, h1b2va said:

Hi ,

 

My 6 Year H1b expired and although my my employer filed for I 140 on premium , it was returned as it had to be accompanied by Original Certified Perm document. My employer has misplaced it and now I 140 has been re-applied on regular processing which'll take around 8-12 months . I don't have an H1b extension , and hence looking to go  for the H4 EAD although it's extremely dicey now , in terms of what's gonna be the fate of H4 EAD folks. Still going for it ...

Applied H4 from the US in oct 2018 and since processing is Vermont not sure how long it'll take. Contemplating going to Canada for stamping H4. , so EAD can come quickly

Anybody has any prior experience on this kind of scenario , please share your thoughts.Much appreciated

 

Stamping is the quick and easy option.

Share this post


Link to post

thanks Shekar11# and Prabu.bloomi# .. i have applied for Canadian visitor visa in an attempt to get H4 stamped ..
I had applied for EAD ( I 765) in January , almost 2.5 months after my COS from H1 to H4 was applied.

Now I learnt that the moment I leave the country , my existing COS will be abandoned.

 

Do I have to re apply for EAD , after I come back in after H4 stamping ?

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, h1b2va said:

thanks Shekar11# and Prabu.bloomi# .. i have applied for Canadian visitor visa in an attempt to get H4 stamped ..
I had applied for EAD ( I 765) in January , almost 2.5 months after my COS from H1 to H4 was applied.

Now I learnt that the moment I leave the country , my existing COS will be abandoned.

 

Do I have to re apply for EAD , after I come back in after H4 stamping ?

Yes, as the H-1 to H-4 application will be void, the accompanying EAD would also be gone. But check with an attorney to be 100% sure.

Share this post


Link to post

I checked with an attorney and I am pasting his comments here for the benefit of those who may go through the forum posts , facing similar situation :

"It's difficult to say for sure as USCIS practice in this area can be inconsistent, however there is a possibility that if the H-4 is denied because he departs the country( while a I 539 is in progress ), then the I-765(attached to it) could be denied as well, as it is dependent on his H-4 status. Thus, if he exits the United States and then re-enters using a visa obtained at a consulate, he should be prepared for the possibility of having to submit a new I-765. "

If USCIS does not have standard practice in such cases , then I am really lost as to what would be the best course of action 😞

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, h1b2va said:

I checked with an attorney and I am pasting his comments here for the benefit of those who may go through the forum posts , facing similar situation :

"It's difficult to say for sure as USCIS practice in this area can be inconsistent, however there is a possibility that if the H-4 is denied because he departs the country( while a I 539 is in progress ), then the I-765(attached to it) could be denied as well, as it is dependent on his H-4 status. Thus, if he exits the United States and then re-enters using a visa obtained at a consulate, he should be prepared for the possibility of having to submit a new I-765. "

If USCIS does not have standard practice in such cases , then I am really lost as to what would be the best course of action 😞

 

 

File a new EAD and wait and see. At the max they will give an RFE to explain the situation.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×