221g Yellow in Delhi

nitish17

I appeared for my H1B visa extension interview at Delhi consulate and received a 221g YELLOW letter with instruction to submit a copy of an I-797 from a previous employer. This is my 9th year on H1B and probably my 4th stamping and this is the first time I have faced this situation. I work at my company's North American headquarters and I am a Full Time Employee with a MSE degree from the US.

The case:
My last visa stamp expired in May 2017 which was from my previous employer. While I was still with that employer I got a visa extension which was approved from May 2017 to May 2020. However in January of 2018 I took up an opportunity at my current company and transferred the H1B. The new H1B is valid from January 2018 to December 2020. So, during the interview the VO asked me to explain the time between May 2017 and January 2018 using the extension I received from the previous employer. Unfortunately, I did not carry that to the interview, thinking they have all records with them and it won't be any issue. But, I was wrong and the VO gave me a 221g YELLOW slip with request submit the copy of I-797 H1B approval explaining the time between May 2017 and January 2018. I submitted the document alongwith the passport at Delhi VAC about 3 hrs after the interview. So now I am just waiting with my application status showing as Administrative processing.

Questions:
- How long does a 221g YELLOW case like this take to approve the visa?

- What are the chances they deny the visa altogether due to some reason?

- If denied what are my options? Can I reapply for the same visa and this time remember to take the whole kitchen sink of documents with me to the interview?

Yeah I have learnt my lesson about carrying all prior approval notices with me in the future. It is frustrating that they can cause delays in visa approval for information that is readily available to them through the PIMS system. Only for the candidate to produce it at the time of the interview. I still have about 18 days to go before my flight back so I am not in panic mode yet! Don't want to go through the hassle of raising alarms at my office regarding a delay of plans for me.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, nitish17 said:

I appeared for my H1B visa extension interview at Delhi consulate and received a 221g YELLOW letter with instruction to submit a copy of an I-797 from a previous employer. This is my 9th year on H1B and probably my 4th stamping and this is the first time I have faced this situation. I work at my company's North American headquarters and I am a Full Time Employee with a MSE degree from the US.

The case:
My last visa stamp expired in May 2017 which was from my previous employer. While I was still with that employer I got a visa extension which was approved from May 2017 to May 2020. However in January of 2018 I took up an opportunity at my current company and transferred the H1B. The new H1B is valid from January 2018 to December 2020. So, during the interview the VO asked me to explain the time between May 2017 and January 2018 using the extension I received from the previous employer. Unfortunately, I did not carry that to the interview, thinking they have all records with them and it won't be any issue. But, I was wrong and the VO gave me a 221g YELLOW slip with request submit the copy of I-797 H1B approval explaining the time between May 2017 and January 2018. I submitted the document alongwith the passport at Delhi VAC about 3 hrs after the interview. So now I am just waiting with my application status showing as Administrative processing.

Questions:
- How long does a 221g YELLOW case like this take to approve the visa?

- What are the chances they deny the visa altogether due to some reason?

- If denied what are my options? Can I reapply for the same visa and this time remember to take the whole kitchen sink of documents with me to the interview?

May be 2 or 3 weeks.

No issues as long as your docs and current employer is good.

Don't think too much. Just relax and you will get it.

Archived