Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts


My wife received her SSN when she was on L-2 and had been using for quite long time.  So I mainly  use for Tax filing purpose & Applying for DL. Now currently she's in H-4 . When her passport expired, I renewed it with her name changed after marriage. got her passport renewed with the new name and even Visa stamped on it. To change her name in DL, I wanted to change her name in SSN as well. When I went to the local SSA office with the name change application & proof etc., the SSN officer says she can't have the SSN as her visa status does not apply and took back her card. We got a letter for denial of SSN which he said can be used for Driver's License. 

I couldn't find any post on the internet related to this incident. I heard SSN is for Life. Now I 'm going to apply for ITIN this year. 

My question here is Is that normal or procedure to take back the card when we came for name change ? Can I get it back and what are my options?

Share this post

Link to post

That doesn't sound normal. Never heard of that. She still keeps the number even if she doesn't ha e the actual card anymore.

Share this post

Link to post

Was she working on the basis of the L2 ead? Go back and speak to a supervisor. If no joy look at thewir website for avenues of complaint.

Share this post

Link to post

No she wasn't working. Thanks for your responses! 

So do you recommend applying for ITIN if the process for resolution takes longer? or Can I go ahead and file the taxes with her SSN?

Edited by Siva18
more information

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now