Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Old SSN from Student Visa days and fresh L2 EAD Application

Recommended Posts


I did my undergraduate studies from the US about 9 years ago on an F1 Visa. I had an SSN back then. I returned to my home country after completing my studies. I have misplaced the SSN card over the years but I have the actual SSN number noted down.

I am moving to the US on an L2 Visa in a couple of weeks and intend to work after receiving by EAD. 

Should I enter my old SSN number in my EAD application form or should I leave it blank?

How should I answer this question - Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security card?


Share this post

Link to post

Your SSN stays with you for life, and you should enter it on the form when asked. It doesn't hurt to say yes to wanting them to issue you a card. If they don't issue you one you can just go to SSA to apply for a replacement card when you get your EAD.

Share this post

Link to post

I also want to mention that, technically, an L2 spouse can apply for an SSN even without an EAD. All you need is your marriage certificate and both your and the L1 spouse's I-94s.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this