Dependent I 94 expiration due to passport expiration

honestquery

Hi

I am working for an employer with the EAD granted as a result of my dependent status.  I have got a stamped visa on my passport that is valid until December 2020 but when I came to US recently, I was given an I 94 only until April, 2019 since my passport was valid only until then. Now that I have got a new passport in place, how do I get a new I 94 reflecting the admit until date of December 2020? I have never been in this situation in the past and seek your guidance please. I have no plans to travel out of US before April but have got plans in June. 

A solution to this situation is that my spouse's employer applies for a new I 539 and wait for its approval but I want to know if I can still travel in and out of US with my stamped Visa that is anyway valid until 2020 or I need to wait until I 1539 gets approved? 
On 2/17/2019 at 10:22 PM, honestquery said:

Hi

I am working for an employer with the EAD granted as a result of my dependent status.  I have got a stamped visa on my passport that is valid until December 2020 but when I came to US recently, I was given an I 94 only until April, 2019 since my passport was valid only until then. Now that I have got a new passport in place, how do I get a new I 94 reflecting the admit until date of December 2020? I have never been in this situation in the past and seek your guidance please. I have no plans to travel out of US before April but have got plans in June. 

A solution to this situation is that my spouse's employer applies for a new I 539 and wait for its approval but I want to know if I can still travel in and out of US with my stamped Visa that is anyway valid until 2020 or I need to wait until I 1539 gets approved? 

You can just cross the Canada or Mexico border whichever is closer to your location and get the I-94 renewed. It is a easy and quick process. If you apply I-539 then you need to stop working because you cannot work based on a extension receipt since your valid I-94 is expired. You can just stay in US during that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived