F2 to F1 - COS or Consular Notification

pcpurple

I graduated in April 2018 with a STEM degree and currently employed in F1 OPT period. I will be filing for a STEM Extension before the expiration of F1 OPT in June 2019 and my employer would also be filing for my H1B petition in April this year. I would require some advice on my spouse's situation:

1. My spouse is currently in the US on an F1 visa and is in her OPT period. The OPT ends on July 2, 2019.
2. She will require to change her visa from F1 to F2 before she becomes out-of-status. 

Is it recommended to apply as Change-of-Status or consular notification? Given many rejections for F2 I am seeing on this forum, I am skeptical of getting approval through consular notification during the OPT 24 month extension period and I still have a 3 month period before my OPT ends. I have also been advised by my university's DSO that the F2 change of status takes 5-15 months and could be denied if the underlying visa (spouse's F1) is expired at the time of adjudication. Would appreciate some advice on this.

Archived