Move to India after naturalization

sameer24p

Hi,

I am in the process of getting US citizenship (currently in the 3rd year of my GC) . I have plans to move to India or closer to India once I become US citizen, the reason being both mine and my wife's parents are aging and there is no one to take care of them. 

• I was wondering how soon I could leave permanently for India after I receive the US passport and get the OCI card from Indian Consulate? 
  • Is there any chance to lose US citizenship if I do not return to USA for very long time say 10 years? 
  • Do we have to maintain any kind of residency proof in USA? for example, maintain bank accounts, file taxes, etc. We do not own a house here, only other thing is I have a 401-k account with my employer.

Appreciate any inputs that can help me in this matter.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, sameer24p said:

Hi,

I am in the process of getting US citizenship (currently in the 3rd year of my GC) . I have plans to move to India or closer to India once I become US citizen, the reason being both mine and my wife's parents are aging and there is no one to take care of them. 

• I was wondering how soon I could leave permanently for India after I receive the US passport and get the OCI card from Indian Consulate? 
  • Is there any chance to lose US citizenship if I do not return to USA for very long time say 10 years? 
  • Do we have to maintain any kind of residency proof in USA? for example, maintain bank accounts, file taxes, etc. We do not own a house here, only other thing is I have a 401-k account with my employer.

Appreciate any inputs that can help me in this matter.

Thanks.

You can intend to leave the US permanently immediately after you naturalize. There is no problem with that. You cannot lose US citizenship by leaving for a long time or by doing anything else without you voluntarily intending to lose US citizenship. You do not have to maintain any proof of residency in the US. But as a US citizen you will be subject to US taxes on your worldwide income no matter where  you live.

A US citizen can live where he or she wants. There is no requirement to stay in the US after naturalization. There used to be such a requirement in the law 30 years or so back, but that was struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional. The US government has no business telling US Citizens (born or naturalized) where they can or cannot live.

As was mentioned already, the US requires all US Citizens to pay US taxes on their worldwide income, regardless of where they live. There are tax treaties with most countries to avoid double taxation.

Archived