All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rick99

Day-1 CPT Issue at hand

Hello Admin,

I had a quick question regarding the Day-1 CPT issue. I completed my MSCS from USA accredited university in DEC 2015. Got my 1 year of OPT extension and then another 2 Years of STEM extension which was valid till Jan of 2019. Recently my STEM expired and I was not lucky all three times to get picked in H1B lottery. I recently got admitted to a university in another MS program which offers Day-1 CPT, But I have not enrolled in CPT part, and I don’t even intend to take that in future. Given this situation, if I just continue as a full time academic student under university regulations and do not get involved into any such CPT- program, Would I be triggering any Unlawful presence issue as the August 8 memo concerns?? Can I just continue my education and maintaining my status on F1 ?????

These institutions are very shady, so you may get into issues just because of that, even if you don't use CPT.

Since you have used all of your OPT, you are not even allowed to get CPT for the same educational level.

I think JoeF was rightfully referring to the reputation of Day-1 CPT schools as shady. Getting into a decent public school.. to really study.. is a months-long process, but that's one alternative, or a safer bet could be to exit the US and try a bit of cooling off overseas. 

That many folks use such shady institutions as a desperate last-ditch way to remain in the US is an open secret. 

Edited by Provence

Yeah, as Provence said, applying at a real university such as a public university would be a good alternative.

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. I have already started applying to few good state universities and will transfer out to one of them Asap, Until them will try to keep things on low end.