Day-1 CPT Issue at hand

Rick99

Hello Admin,

I had a quick question regarding the Day-1 CPT issue. I completed my MSCS from USA accredited university in DEC 2015. Got my 1 year of OPT extension and then another 2 Years of STEM extension which was valid till Jan of 2019. Recently my STEM expired and I was not lucky all three times to get picked in H1B lottery. I recently got admitted to a university in another MS program which offers Day-1 CPT, But I have not enrolled in CPT part, and I don’t even intend to take that in future. Given this situation, if I just continue as a full time academic student under university regulations and do not get involved into any such CPT- program, Would I be triggering any Unlawful presence issue as the August 8 memo concerns?? Can I just continue my education and maintaining my status on F1 ?????

I think JoeF was rightfully referring to the reputation of Day-1 CPT schools as shady. Getting into a decent public school.. to really study.. is a months-long process, but that's one alternative, or a safer bet could be to exit the US and try a bit of cooling off overseas. 

That many folks use such shady institutions as a desperate last-ditch way to remain in the US is an open secret. 

Edited by Provence
  • 1 year later...