i94 Extension after Passport Renewal

Pinky567

Hi,

I would suggest you to try these options:

1. Go to nearest CBP deferred inspection office and explain about this correction. If they do it, you are good. I don't know which port of entry you fall under, some CBP deferred inspection offices will not allow walk-ins, you will have to send email with Passport page, i797 approval and recent i94. If they do not update, follow next option.

2. Go to Mexico and you do not need visa stamping since your US visa is still valid and then come back to US. At the port of entry present the i797 approval and make sure your validity date is updated with actual date. I was in bit similar state last week and when I called U.S. Customs and Border Protection Otay Mesa Port of Entry, and the operator said they can correct the i94 in such cases.

18 hours ago, GSurya said:

Hi,

I would suggest you to try these options:

1. Go to nearest CBP deferred inspection office and explain about this correction. If they do it, you are good. I don't know which port of entry you fall under, some CBP deferred inspection offices will not allow walk-ins, you will have to send email with Passport page, i797 approval and recent i94. If they do not update, follow next option.

2. Go to Mexico and you do not need visa stamping since your US visa is still valid and then come back to US. At the port of entry present the i797 approval and make sure your validity date is updated with actual date. I was in bit similar state last week and when I called U.S. Customs and Border Protection Otay Mesa Port of Entry, and the operator said they can correct the i94 in such cases.

Thanks Surya for your reply.

I can go to Otay Mesa and try it there. Do you know the process we need to follow? Is this a walk in or an appointment based?

Also, will this require you driving into Mexico and get i94 extended or can we directly go to Otay Mesa Sentri Enrollment Center and get i94 extended?

On 1/31/2019 at 8:37 AM, Pinky567 said:

he process we need to follow? Is this a walk in or an appointment based?

Also, will this require you driving into Mexico and get

You will have to cross the border. Since your visa is still valid, mostly you will not need visa to enter Mexico. Then you can drive back to US and get the I94 updated at CBP.

Take the trolley to the Tijuana border from San Diego. Cross the turnstiles and make a U turn to return to the CBP check. Ask for a new I94 .

No Mexican Immigration check of any kind and no need for a visa in this case. Make sure you are making the Officer aware that you are not using AVR. Politely insist on a new I94 based on your H1 petition approval.

• 1 month later...

Archived