H1B stamping in Canada

aadhie

Hi All,

I am residing in the US now and got my Canadian PR. I am planning to visit Canada and activate my PR and also get my H1b stamped as it is expired in Jun-2017 and my current extension is till Aug-2019.

1. I will have 5-6 months left on my extension left when I go for stamping, will it be an issue?

2. I am not a PR yet as I have not landed yet, can I choose that I am Permanent resident while booking the visa appointment?. - This makes lot easier to get the visa interview date availability.

3. If I choosing the option as I am PR, will my COPR(Confirmation of PR) document is sufficient when I got to the Interview?

Thanks,

Kumar

On 1/28/2019 at 12:02 PM, aadhie said:

Hi All,

I am residing in the US now and got my Canadian PR. I am planning to visit Canada and activate my PR and also get my H1b stamped as it is expired in Jun-2017 and my current extension is till Aug-2019.

1. I will have 5-6 months left on my extension left when I go for stamping, will it be an issue?

2. I am not a PR yet as I have not landed yet, can I choose that I am Permanent resident while booking the visa appointment?. - This makes lot easier to get the visa interview date availability.

3. If I choosing the option as I am PR, will my COPR(Confirmation of PR) document is sufficient when I got to the Interview?

Thanks,

Kumar

1. No

2. Not sure.

3. Not sure.

You will not have an issue with going for stamping. I believe you dont need to get your visa stamped if you are simply going to Canada and coming back within 30 days. When you land in Canada using your immigrant visa that they gave you, you will get the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) which is a valid document to travel into and out of Canada via a car. You cannot use that for a flight or a cruise, for example. I am not aware of the visa appointment getting any easier because you have a PR. Its all the same since you first need to do the DS160, pay the MRV fee, and then look for appointments, nowhere it says that if you are a Canadian PR you may get the appointment easily than others who are not. 

Thanks

Archived