Montreal consulate: H1B visa verbally "approved" after interview, only to show Administrative Processing as online status

texasbluemoon

I went through my H1B interview in Montreal today. After the interview, I was told by the Immigration officer that my visa application was approved and that my passport should be ready for pick up in about a week. However, when I later checked the status of my application online, I’m seeing that it’s under administrative processing.

Anyone else experience the same? I would appreciate if you could please share your experiences and thoughts.

@gopalakrishnach It was a very basic interview. I was asked about where I work and what I do. When I responded with my job title, I was asked to elaborate on what my tile means. I was also asked about my previously issued US visas and if I had any other passports from other countries. Finally, I was asked how long I would be in Canada.

Pretty straight forward and standard questions. The whole process from standing in line 20 mins before my scheduled time outside the consulate (in the bitter cold) to the conclusion of my interview took about an hour and half to two hours.

My advice - Scheduling an interview was not easy. First see what dates are available (for me, the earliest date was 3 months out but I took it). Then go ahead and fill the application and submit immediately to secure that interview date. The interview slots can move quickly depending on the time of the year.

Archived