All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
meha

Electrical graduate working in software

Hi,

I did my masters in USA in electrical engineering(specialization in digital and computer engineering). this specialization is nowhere shown in the masters documents but i have taken a course image processing which is related to machine learning and python on which i am working now. Also, i have done my final graduate project in software continuing image processing using AWS. Currently i am working as a software engineer. anyone here has any idea if this will work or might create issues during h1b and stem opt extension.

Will really appreciate your inputs. Thanks

I think image processing qualifies as part of Computer Science. I have taken image processing classes way back as undergrad in CS (most CS peoples' eyes glazed over when they had to learn Fourier transforms...)

Python is just a programming language, and in CS you are supposed to pick up any language with ease. Python is just popular among data scientists because of all the libraries. Just like Fortran was the go-to language for image processing in my undergrad days. At my current employer, the data scientists continue to use Python while we SW Engineers are getting away from it and towards functional programming languages like Scala.

AWS is also just one cloud deployment option. Customers may ask your company to deploy on Google Cloud or Azure. Being tied to one particular implementation is never a good thing. Learn how the other cloud systems work (they are similar.) And nowadays, companies don't use raw cloud much. Things like Kubernetes run everywhere.

Sorry to people not in the field if this just sounded like gibberish 😉 This is my daily life as Software Engineer 😉

Edited by JoeF