F1 to H4 and EAD, long wait, same time H1B extension, Option of Going to India for Stamping

megha91

Hi, Currently I am on F1 OPT. My OPT is expiring on 16th  Jan 2019. Applied for F1 to H4 and EAD in May 2018. There is no change in my application yet and the processing time was 11.5 to 15 months at Vermont service center. My spouse had his visa till sep 2019 and his employer may file a extension around July 2019. As of now h4 or H1B extension any application may come first. So what am i supposed to do, Is it a good idea to go to India around Feb 2019 to get my visa stamping. If so what is the document list for F1 to H4 visa(I only see a list for H4, what am i required additionally for F1 to h4). Do i get questions about my withdrawal application of f1 to h4 and EAD and F1(OPT) if i do so. What are the precautions I should take.

Thanks & Regards,

Megha

18 hours ago, megha91 said:

Hi, Currently I am on F1 OPT. My OPT is expiring on 16th  Jan 2019. Applied for F1 to H4 and EAD in May 2018. There is no change in my application yet and the processing time was 11.5 to 15 months at Vermont service center. My spouse had his visa till sep 2019 and his employer may file a extension around July 2019. As of now h4 or H1B extension any application may come first. So what am i supposed to do, Is it a good idea to go to India around Feb 2019 to get my visa stamping. If so what is the document list for F1 to H4 visa(I only see a list for H4, what am i required additionally for F1 to h4). Do i get questions about my withdrawal application of f1 to h4 and EAD and F1(OPT) if i do so. What are the precautions I should take.

Thanks & Regards,

Megha

I'm also in the same situation, please let me know if you find out any details about this. Thanks.

There should be no problem in getting a H4 visa if there is no issue with the person on H1. You need to fill a form and show proof of Marriage and proof of his valid H1 status which may include the copy of his petition approval, job letter, last w2 and a few months stubs. Obviously you will answer any other questions truthfully if asked. Then you should reapply for the H4 EAD/extension of H4 status  when your spouse is filing for H1 extension in July and you will then get an EAD valid till the H1 expiry. It is possible PP may return by then and make the process faster and simpler for both.

Archived