Visitors Visa: Stamping on passport expired but I-94 valid

sudheer_bvn

Hello Experts -

My mother came to US in late July 2018 and was stamped for admission until Jan 2019.

But we went to Costa Rica for a few days during Thanksgiving break and on the entry back -> she was able to come through the automatic kiosk without having to talk to the CBP agent.

When we checked our online I-94 record, her latest I-94 is reflecting end of May 2019 as the date. The question I have is -> since her latest I-94 has a date of May 2019, is SHE LEGAL TO STAY UNTIL END OF MAY?

Or does she still have to apply for a visa extension? Please let me know. Many thanks in advance.

She may be legal to stay, or might be a CBP error. If she does stay the additional time, she should be prepared to be subject to additional scrutiny about the length of her US stays on the next POE.

She's better off sticking to the original date of return per the airline ticket when she entered in July. B2 admissions are for short visits of a temporary duration. 

5 hours ago, sudheer_bvn said:

Hello Experts -

My mother came to US in late July 2018 and was stamped for admission until Jan 2019.

But we went to Costa Rica for a few days during Thanksgiving break and on the entry back -> she was able to come through the automatic kiosk without having to talk to the CBP agent.

When we checked our online I-94 record, her latest I-94 is reflecting end of May 2019 as the date. The question I have is -> since her latest I-94 has a date of May 2019, is SHE LEGAL TO STAY UNTIL END OF MAY?

Or does she still have to apply for a visa extension? Please let me know. Many thanks in advance.

B2 visitors are usually admitted for 6 months. May 2019 is 6 months after November 2018, so there is nothing unusual about that. Sure they could have admitted her for a shorter time due to her coming back after just being away for a few days, but they don't have to. 6 months is the norm for each visit unless there are special circumstances.

Archived