H1B stamping with arrest record

nevergiveup117

Hello Everyone,

I have an arrest record for shoplifting and this happened 4 years back. I forgot to pay for an item during billing and store thought that I did it intentionally. I went to court and they dismissed it and I was not guilty. I have the final disposition court copy.I'm on my H1B extension now and I had to travel to India for an occasion and had to go for stamping, I mentioned clearly about the arrest and gave explanation on DS 160 form. This is my first H1B stamping at Hyderabad consulate and I went during Christmas time and it went very smoothly.Here is my experience:

VO was a middle aged male

VO: Good morning!!
Me: Good Morning Sir, Merry Christmas!!
VO: With a big smile Oh Merry Christmas
VO: So you work at client location or employer?
Me: Client location Sir
VO: What's your client name? 
Me: told him my client name (VO asked for spelling which I told him and he was typing)
VO: Role?
Me: Business Analyst
VO: Did the same employer file a petiton for you before?
Me: I said Yes and told them that I'm with my employer since 3 years
VO: Do you know your rights in US?
Me: Yes sir

I was tensed at this point and was expecting the question on arrest. He didn't ask for any documents and he just took the passport while typing something. Then comes the golden words 
VO: "Your visa is approved". 

I was on cloud 9 and my eyes were filled with happy tears.

He didn't ask anything about the arrest. May be it didn't pop up or they already knew it was dismissed or they were satisfied with my explanation on DS 160. Guess I was lucky by God's grace. Got my passport back in 1 week.

Always answer confidently and be truthful. Hope my experience helps others.

6 hours ago, nevergiveup117 said:

Hello Everyone,

I have an arrest record for shoplifting and this happened 4 years back. I forgot to pay for an item during billing and store thought that I did it intentionally. I went to court and they dismissed it and I was not guilty. I have the final disposition court copy.I'm on my H1B extension now and I had to travel to India for an occasion and had to go for stamping, I mentioned clearly about the arrest and gave explanation on DS 160 form. This is my first H1B stamping at Hyderabad consulate and I went during Christmas time and it went very smoothly.Here is my experience:

Me: told him my client name (VO asked for spelling which I told him and he was typing)

I was tensed at this point and was expecting the question on arrest. He didn't ask for any documents and he just took the passport while typing something. Then comes the golden words 

He didn't ask anything about the arrest. May be it didn't pop up or they already knew it was dismissed or they were satisfied with my explanation on DS 160. Guess I was lucky by God's grace. Got my passport back in 1 week.

Providing the right details in DS-160 has made it easy for you. Congrats.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:03 AM, nevergiveup117 said:

Hello Everyone,

Hi, 

Congrats on successful stamping. 

I am on same situation and planning to go for visa stamping soon. Can you ping me more details about your case like, How was your case dismissed.

Thanks.

Archived