H1B Stamping on Indian passport expiring more than 6 months later

rh07_bhatt

Hello

I am currently in USA on H1B Non-immigrant Visa and I received my H1B extension approval ( I797 ) on Sep2018 , valid till Sep2021.

My current Visa stamped expired on Sep2018 and passport is expiring in Oct2019. I am planning to go india and planning to get VISA stamped next month in Jan2019.

will the soon to be expiring Indian passport cause any conflict ? do I need to renew passport before going for Visa stamping in Jan2019?

On 12/23/2018 at 11:32 PM, rh07_bhatt said:

Hello

I am currently in USA on H1B Non-immigrant Visa and I received my H1B extension approval ( I797 ) on Sep2018 , valid till Sep2021.

My current Visa stamped expired on Sep2018 and passport is expiring in Oct2019. I am planning to go india and planning to get VISA stamped next month in Jan2019.

will the soon to be expiring Indian passport cause any conflict ? do I need to renew passport before going for Visa stamping in Jan2019?

But while coming back at port of entry you will get I-94 only until Oct 2019. You need to have a reminder to renew I-94 by stepping out of country or apply for extension again in Sep 2019.

12 hours ago, rh07_bhatt said:

@shekar11#thank you for the note. So it seems like after coming back to USA, I will have to get passport renewed and get I-94 extension done too.

If you have time renew your passport and go for stamping as you can renew 1 year before expiry.

Or if it is too late you can get stamping done in India, come back and renew your passport in US.

Then when your I-94 expiry date is nearing just cross the border near Canada or Mexico and come back because you will have valid visa stamp on your old passport. Just make sure to carry all the docs while crossing the border and everything shud be good.

OR last option is you can apply for H-1 renewal again if you don;t want to cross the border.

Archived