Previous F-1 student changing from TPS back to F-1

student_eager123

Hello,

I came to the US for my Bachelor's studies on August 2012. The program ended on May, 2016,
and the subsequent one year OPT period ended on July, 2017. 

While I had F-1 status, I applied for Temporary Protected Status on 2015. I did not work through my TPS 
EAD, which is why I was able to maintain both the statuses until July, 2017.

Once my OPT ended I started working through my TPS EAD until now.

Now, since my TPS ends in June, 2019, I am trying to go back to school for my Master's studies.
I want to reserve the option of going back home and applying for new SEVIS as last resort since there is greater
uncertainty for my VISA acceptance.
Alternatively, through my research, I found that filling out form i-539 for a change to non-immigrant status is a valid option. 
Since it has been more than 5 months since my F-1 status ended, it seems like I need to show exceptional circumstance, which 
I have proof to show.

Here are my questions: 

• Is it possible for me to reinstate my F-1 status using form i-539 considering I am currently on TPS? I could not find any
    specific information regarding TPS holders in the form instructions.
  • Since I was previously an F-1 student, and have exceptional circumstance to show for the delay with reinstatement, will
    I be able to reinstate my previous F-1 status with form i-539?
  • In case it takes longer than June, 2019 for me to get decision on form i-539, will I be able to extend my legal stay in the US
    until I get a decision? I saw this option in the form instructions, but just want to confirm that it applies to me. 
  • Is there any option apart from applying for new SEVIS or reinstating my previous one for me to go back to school as F-1 student?

Really appreciate the help in advance. Apologies for the wordy post!

Archived