Any issue if H1B visa holder start campaign on GoFundMe?

Vihaan17

Hi All,

One of my close friend and his family met with serious accident and need financial help. Therefore, I initiated a donation campaign for him on GoFundMe. Yesterday, somebody mentioned that such things should only be initiated by GC holders and citizens and might create problem if initiated by H1B holders.

I see no logic in this however wanted expert opinion on this.

PS: This is for a real cause and to genuinely help the family in distress.

Thanks,

Vihaan 

In my opinion you should avoid anything that involves monetary transactions beside what you are allowed as per your LCA. Avoid anything commercial in nature.  I remember that you have to provide your SSN on gofundme which tags those donations made to your SSN. Ask one of your GC/Citizen friends to do it. I am sure there are other charitable organizations that would do this gladly for you and your in need friend. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2018 at 6:45 AM, Vihaan17 said:

Hi All,

One of my close friend and his family met with serious accident and need financial help. Therefore, I initiated a donation campaign for him on GoFundMe. Yesterday, somebody mentioned that such things should only be initiated by GC holders and citizens and might create problem if initiated by H1B holders.

I see no logic in this however wanted expert opinion on this.

PS: This is for a real cause and to genuinely help the family in distress.

Thanks,

Vihaan 

Hi, Initiated same thing. What happened on your behalf? Did you just closed out the account you started or just deleted the account?