Sponsoring fathers GC & new rules

Hello,

I am planning to apply for my fathers GC after my mom passed away a month ago. He can't travel to US right now for a month or 2 due to work issues. I don't want to leave him in India alone for too long. I am aware that there are 2 options, i.e. AOS when he is in US or CP while he is in India. I can apply for CP while he is in India but as I understand that process can take a long time, over a year sometimes. I don't want him to stay alone for that long. If he comes to US in B1 and then If I apply for AOS, I understand that he has to stay for at least 3 months before I can apply for I130/I485. That will be at least 5 months from now. I prefer this option, but my worry is changes in laws that Trump administration might introduce that might complicate sponsoring parents GC in future. Is the worry realistic? I know last year a bill was introduced (which failed) to stop so called chain immigration. And recently there was an article about blocking GC due to 'public charge' rules.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/poverty/reports/2018/11/27/461461/trumps-public-charge-rule-radically-change-legal-immigration/

How realistic are these worries?

Coming here in B2 status with a preconceived intention to change status is illegal and could potentially lead to a heap of trouble. Trump cannot change law. Congress does. Even AOS takes a long time. He will not be eligible for Medical Insurance aka Obama Care  while awaiting AOS. Hence file his papers for consular processing after asking him what his intentions are instead of making his mind up for him.

Archived