H1B Visa Stamping and Passport Expiration

kp121

Hi,

I am currently in US with I-797A. I am yet to go out of US to get my VISA stamped. 

My new visa expiry date (in I-797A) is Aug-2021 and my passport expiry date is Dec-2021 i.e. 5 months gap.

1.   I read online that, " US embassies/consulates worldwide require one's passport to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the validity date of the visa the consulate will issue".

2.  Also, I cannot apply for passport renewal till  Dec-2020 with Indian Embassy in U.S. as  "One cannot renew the passport more than one year before the expiration date of ones current passport."

Please help me understand whether I can go to India and get my current passport stamped? (pt.1)   or

Is there anyway I can get my passport renewed now itself (pt. 2)

Regards

23 hours ago, kp121 said:

Hi,

I am currently in US with I-797A. I am yet to go out of US to get my VISA stamped. 

My new visa expiry date (in I-797A) is Aug-2021 and my passport expiry date is Dec-2021 i.e. 5 months gap.

1.   I read online that, " US embassies/consulates worldwide require one's passport to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the validity date of the visa the consulate will issue".

2.  Also, I cannot apply for passport renewal till  Dec-2020 with Indian Embassy in U.S. as  "One cannot renew the passport more than one year before the expiration date of ones current passport."

Please help me understand whether I can go to India and get my current passport stamped? (pt.1)   or

Is there anyway I can get my passport renewed now itself (pt. 2)

Regards

1. Your passport needs to be valid for atleast six months on the day you go for Visa stamping. Not expiry date. It is the issue date that they look at.

Archived