I539 filed with child name misspelled

balaji-m

Hello ,

I have received the new i797 notice for my son's H4 extension &  name is misspelled in the notice ( only one letter in the first name is changed). I reported to my attorney & they made service request to USCIS to correct the error but then I got the new notice with same error. Finally, I came to know that the I539 application ( Supplement A section where we enter for additional beneficiary) that my attorney sent has the error & its not USCIS mistake. Now, my attorney is saying that , this name error will not be a problem if I go for stamping as they are going to check only the h1b documents & visa will be issued with the name as per the passport. IF I don't want to take any chances then,  I should get it corrected only by applying new i539 application .

Here is what I need to know

1. Is it true that, US consulate will not mind if there is minor error in kid's name in his/her  i797 notice & issue Visa based on h1b documents?

If I have to correct the mistake before I go ,

Should I re-apply for i539 & pay the fee to get the name corrected?. If so , how long will it take ?

Or 

can I take Infopass & visit nearby USCIS office to explain the situation & get it corrected?

Please advice.

Archived