New H1B stamping much before current stamping expires

mitul.h.mehta

Hi 

For some reason I am getting contradicting answer for this. 

My current H1B stamping expires in Feb 2019. Extension approved from March 2019 on wards till 2022. How soon I can go for the fresh stamping based on new I-797. BTW, I am with same employer on H1B since day one since 2009. 

One attorney says that I can go as early as 90 days before new approval date but cannot go for stamping / drop box before 10-15 days from new start date (March 2019)

Appreciate your co-operation. 

you have two options

1) if your travel is before your VISA expiry then no need to attend visa interview. While coming back you have to show your new I 797A at immigration.

2) if you want to attend visa interview you can go now and you are eligible for drop box. ( my friend went to drop in Oct, his old petition was valid till Dec and his new petition start date is from Dec onwards.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:42 AM, kism84 said:

you have two options

1) if your travel is before your VISA expiry then no need to attend visa interview. While coming back you have to show your new I 797A at immigration.

2) if you want to attend visa interview you can go now and you are eligible for drop box. ( my friend went to drop in Oct, his old petition was valid till Dec and his new petition start date is from Dec onwards.

Thanks a lot..I am going for 2nd option and the question was if I am going almost 2 months earlier (Jan 2019) than my new approval notice (March 2019) as I will be eligible for dropbox, will they give me new stamping starting March 2019 ? 

17 hours ago, mitul.h.mehta said:

Thanks a lot..I am going for 2nd option and the question was if I am going almost 2 months earlier (Jan 2019) than my new approval notice (March 2019) as I will be eligible for dropbox, will they give me new stamping starting March 2019 ? 

Yes. You will get new visa stamp until March 2022. Visa stamp has a issue date, not a start date. So you can use the new visa whenever you get it stamped. Also you can go for stamping anytime. I went for visa stamp in Jan 2016 when my extended I-797 started in April 2016 and had no issues.

5 hours ago, shekar11# said:

Yes. You will get new visa stamp until March 2022. Visa stamp has a issue date, not a start date. So you can use the new visa whenever you get it stamped. Also you can go for stamping anytime. I went for visa stamp in Jan 2016 when my extended I-797 started in April 2016 and had no issues.

Thank you so much shekhar. Appreciate it. 

Archived