Family bases GC interview cancelled as USCIS lost paperwork

flixster23

Hi,

1. My GC is being processed by my employer as well as through my spouse (Started the family application when my spouse was on GC, and since Aug of this year he is a citizen). I got my EAD and AP in July of this year through my family based petition. The interview was scheduled for September at the San Jose, CA, USCIS office. When we reached the office, the officer told us, they have to manually reschedule the interview as some of the important paperwork is missing from their files.  It has been 2 months since then with no updates. I have physically visited the office twice to check, but they are yet to receive the paperwork from the main service center. What are my options?

2. In the meanwhile, I am on H1 (valid till October 2021), but got affected by lay offs and Mid January of 2019 is my last day at work. Now while applying for new jobs, can I simply use my EAD status? Would the new employer need to apply for my H1? 

Given the above situation, what is my visa status beyond January 7th? What happens if I don't find a job till March or April of next year  and my GC is not issued till that time?

Thank you.

Archived