Discrepancies in Birth Records

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding discrepancies in birth documentation.  

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:
1.    Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.
2.    The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.
3.    The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.
4.    Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

Hi,

My birth certificate has my grandmother's name as my name (family tradition) and all other records have my original name. I did apply for name change in Indian gazette, got the publications from regional and national news paper, notarized and produced them during I-485 filing. Currently am on my husband's GC EAD and we have renewed it 3 times. When our priority date becomes current will this discrepancy be an issue? Thanks.

Hi, my birth certificate has my name as Ambiga. In Tamil language the alphabet for K and G are the same and that’s what caused the confusion. I changed my name to Ambika while applying for my 10th exams and all my certificates and passport, visas are in the name of Ambika Viswanathan. Do I need any other documentation? Our I 140 is approved and we are waiting to apply the i485. We obtained an affidavit signed from my father saying Ambiga and Ambika are the one and the same.

Hi,

My birth place (city name) is not  matching between the passport and the birth certificate. Both places are in same state though. 

We filed I-485 and indicated the birth place in the forms as same as my birth certificate. Does it cause any issues because my passport has a different city name? Do you recommend me to apply for correction in the passport before I go for AOS interview?

Thanks.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, UBK said:

Hi,

My birth certificate has my grandmother's name as my name (family tradition) and all other records have my original name. I did apply for name change in Indian gazette, got the publications from regional and national news paper, notarized and produced them during I-485 filing. Currently am on my husband's GC EAD and we have renewed it 3 times. When our priority date becomes current will this discrepancy be an issue? Thanks.

Since it sounds like you completed a formal name change, this should not be a problem for you.  

On 11/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, spbp said:

MY MOTHER AND FATHER NAME ON MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS NOT SAME AS THEIR NAME ON MY PASSPORT. IS THIS DISCREPANCiES IS OK? OR I NEED AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT?

You will want to confirm why they are different and what is accurate, then speak to your immigration attorney regarding how best to proceed when you get to the green card process.  

On 11/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, SGC82 said:

Hello, My birth certificate has only my initials while my passport has my full name. Also, My father and mothers name on my BC is spelt differently from my passport. Will this cause a problem? What do I need to rectify this situation

Generally, will not be an issue. You will need to gather affidavits and secondary documentation for the green card process. 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:28 PM, Ambika said:

Hi, my birth certificate has my name as Ambiga. In Tamil language the alphabet for K and G are the same and that’s what caused the confusion. I changed my name to Ambika while applying for my 10th exams and all my certificates and passport, visas are in the name of Ambika Viswanathan. Do I need any other documentation? Our I 140 is approved and we are waiting to apply the i485. We obtained an affidavit signed from my father saying Ambiga and Ambika are the one and the same.

It is advisable to obtain a second affidavit and secondary documentation. It may also be helpful to document the interchangeability of the two letters when translating into English. 

On 11/7/2018 at 10:34 AM, sudbon2784 said:

Hi,

My birth place (city name) is not  matching between the passport and the birth certificate. Both places are in same state though. 

We filed I-485 and indicated the birth place in the forms as same as my birth certificate. Does it cause any issues because my passport has a different city name? Do you recommend me to apply for correction in the passport before I go for AOS interview?

Thanks.

Generally, the birth certificate is controlling and will be the document USCIS follows as most accurate. 

Archived